Plant identification

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gonzo1683

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey guys I forgot the name of this plant and I wanted to know some facts I think it usually turns red in the correct conditions ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1428413930.752854.jpg

I also notice this growing on a few leaves ....I pulled this one off ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1428413981.151434.jpg

Can I regrow this plant using this?? For now I will try until I get a response

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Yes that is Java fern. Mine currently do that too ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1428414506.841627.jpg

Rockyofhockey _/.\_

Cool.. So those off springs can be replanted or just let it do its thing

Cool.. So those off springs can be replanted or just let it do its thing

You never want to "plant" Java fern. It does best on a piece of driftwood or tied down to something... If you do plant it, it's rhizome HAS to be above the substrate because that is where it takes it nutrients

Rockyofhockey _/.\_

Then idk if this is a Java fern cause I don't remember seeing what looks like a rhizome on it just roots (I don't remember if they were stringy like the spruce or more like Anubis...)I have Anubis and the rhizome are clear as day this plant didn't have them.. I'm not saying ur wrong I just don't remember seeing a rhizome but it is growing well planted so far ..

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1428420158.664472.jpg it has a very tiny rhizome... That's what the leaves grow from

Rockyofhockey _/.\_

Ok I'm wrong I do see the rhizome I uprooted it n saw it

Thanks for the help. :) much appreciated.. I thought I was getting some sort of hair algae in the tank when I saw it lol.

So that little spruce that springs up from the leaves... Is that the fern grows or will those fall off at any point n grow into another

So that little spruce that springs up from the leaves... Is that the fern grows or will those fall off at any point n grow into another

I believe you have to manually pull them off. Once you get them off is as good as the ones you buy

Rockyofhockey _/.\_

And while ur here lol.. Any ideas for a low tech gravel ground cover? ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1428422127.691297.jpg

I'm trying to grow back my Anubis I had gold fish in the tank for awhile n they ate all the leaves off so that's what's up front.. I'm thinking about putting the castle 1/2 in each side n drift wood in the middle now that it's getting nicer out I wanna find my own wood

Sorry to change topics lol

Back
Top Bottom