Plant info please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kaz

Aquarium Advice Addict
ok I did my first picks but not the final, these plants are of interest for my new 75g 1.5 to 2.0 wpg with eco-complete. any personal information and experience you have with any of these plants would be of great appreciation to make final dicission thank you.

Cladophora aegagropila

Family Cladophoraceae

Continent Asia, Europe

Region Asia and Europe

Country of origin

Height 3-10 cm

Width 3-10 cm

Light requirements very low-high

Temperature 5-28 °C

Hardness tolerance medium-very hard

pH tolerance 6-8,5

Growth very slow

Demands easy

Cladophora aegagropila is not really a plant, but a ball of algae, so it is a decorative exception from the rule about avoiding algae at all costs. It is normally found in shallow lakes, where the movement of the waves forms it into a sphere. In an aquarium it must be turned regularly to keep it in shape. C. aegagropila can be divided into smaller pieces, which become spherical with time, or which form a carpet, if attached to roots and stones. Protected in parts of Japan.

Riccia fluitans

Family Ricciaceae

Continent Cosmopolitan

Region Cosmopolitan

Country of origin

Height 5-1+ cm

Width 5+ cm

Light requirements low-very high

Temperature 10-28 °C

Hardness tolerance very soft-hard

pH tolerance 5-8

Growth medium

Demands easy

Japanese Takashi Amano has inspired many aquarium owners to keep Riccia fluitans submerged. It can be kept down by tying it to a stone with a piece of fishing line, but new shoots always grow towards the surface, so it may be necessary to prune it with scissors. Under water R. fluitans thrives best with added CO2 and in good growing conditions small oxygen bubbles form on the leaf tips. As a traditional floating plant offers good protection for young fish.

Riccia sp. ''Dwarf''

Family Ricciaceae

Continent Pan Tropic

Region Unknown

Country of origin

Height 5-1+ cm

Width 3-5+ cm

Temperature 15-28 °C

Hardness tolerance very soft-medium

pH tolerance 5,5-7,5

Growth medium

Demands medium

Riccia spec. ''Dwarf'', like Riccia, is a floating plant which can be anchored to stones or roots with fishing line to keep it down. When the plant grows well it develops into an unusual and attractive carpet. To prevent it from becoming detached and floating to the top, it should be pruned from time to time with scissors, and fastened down again occasionally. Riccia spec. ''Dwarf'' thrives best when CO2 is supplied (see also Riccia fluitans). The origins of this plant are unknown.

Monosolenium tenerum (''Pellia'')

Family Monoseleniaceae

Continent Asia

Region Asia

Country of origin

Height 2-5+ cm

Width 3-10+ cm

Light requirements very low-very high

Temperature 5-28 °C

Hardness tolerance very soft-very hard

pH tolerance 5-8

Growth medium

Demands easy

Monosolenium tenerum is an attractive liverwort, which looks most like a giant Riccia that simply stays at the bottom, where it forms cushions. It is a brittle plant, and pieces break off easily, so it is best to place it in the aquarium attached to stones with fishing line or in small clumps among other plants such as Eleocharis. Once M. tenerum has established itself, it is very undemanding. This plant is mistakenly known as Pellia.

Vesicularia dubyana

Family Hypnaceae

Continent Asia

Region South-east Asia

Country of origin

Height 5+ cm

Width 5+ cm

Light requirements very low-very high

Temperature 15-28 °C

pH tolerance 5-9

Growth slow

Demands very easy

Java moss is the common name for Vesicularia dubyana, a hardy plant which makes few demands on the water or light. Java moss grows willingly on any surface, so it is ideal for decorating stones and tree roots or concealing installations in the aquarium. Attach the plant with a piece of fishing line until it has gained a hold on the bottom. If its growth becomes too luxuriant, it can be pruned with scissors. In breeding aquariums Java moss is a wonderful hiding place for the young fish.

Vesicularia sp. ''Christmas''

Family Hypnaceae

Continent South America

Region South America

Country of origin Brazil

Height 1-3+ cm

Width 3-5+ cm

Temperature 15-28 °C

pH tolerance 5,5-9

Growth very slow

Demands difficult

A special moss originally seen in Japanese aquariums and known as ''Amazonia Willow Moss''. Also called ''Christmas tree moss'', because of its side branch structure which distinguishes it from ordinary Vesicularia dubyana and looks like fir tree branches. It is more demanding than ordinary Java moss and grows more slowly. It attaches readily to roots and stones, and as it spreads in the water it needs pruning to keep its shape attractive. See also Vesicularia dubyana.

Eleocharis acicularis

Family Cyperaceae

Continent Cosmopolitan

Region Cosmopolitan

Country of origin

Height 10-15 cm

Width 5+ cm

Light requirements medium-very high

Temperature 15-25 °C

pH tolerance 5-8

Growth medium

Demands medium

Eleocharis acicularis is a low plant that has a grass-like appearance with fine, filamentous leaves when growing conditions are good. One new way of using it is as an anchor to keep a Riccia down. First keep the Riccia down with pebbles, then plant the Eleocharis in the Riccia with tweezers. There are more than 100 Eleocharis species, and they are difficult to distinguish from each other.

Eleocharis ''parvula''

Family Cyperaceae

Continent Cosmopolitan

Region

Country of origin

Height 3-7 cm

Width 5-10+ cm

Temperature 10-28 °C

pH tolerance 5,5-8

Growth medium

Demands easy

A low-growing Eleocharis that forms runners close to the parent plant. It is prettiest planted in small bunches quite close to each other, which will gradually form a solid mass of plants. An ideal foreground plant, equally suited to large and small aquariums. Its scientific name is at present uncertain. See also Eleocharis acicularis.

Anubias barteri var. nana 'Petite'

Family Araceae

Continent Cultivar

Region

Country of origin

Height 3-5 cm

Width 5-10+ cm

Temperature 20-30 °C

pH tolerance 6-8

Growth very slow

Demands easy

A mutation which appeared in cultivation at the Oriental aquarium plant nursery in Singapore. Grows very slowly, and can be difficult to keep in healthy growth. It is most decorative when attached to stones or roots, and like other Anubias should be attached with fishing line until it gains a hold. A speciality plant which is ideal for miniature landscapes in small aquariums.

Anubias barteri var. nana 'Petite'

Family Araceae

Continent Cultivar

Region

Country of origin

Height 3-5 cm

Width 5-10+ cm

Temperature 20-30 °C

pH tolerance 6-8

Growth very slow

Demands easy

A mutation which appeared in cultivation at the Oriental aquarium plant nursery in Singapore. Grows very slowly, and can be difficult to keep in healthy growth. It is most decorative when attached to stones or roots, and like other Anubias should be attached with fishing line until it gains a hold. A speciality plant which is ideal for miniature landscapes in small aquariums.

Anubias barteri ''coffeefolia''

Family Araceae

Continent Cultivar , Africa

Region Cultivar

Country of origin Cultivar

Height 15-25 cm

Width 10+ cm

Light requirements low-high

Temperature 20-30 °C

pH tolerance 5,5-9

Growth very slow

Demands very easy

Anubias barteri ''coffeefolia'' is a very beautiful, low variety of Anubias barteri. It is characteristic that the leaves arch considerably between the leaf ribs, and the new leaves are red-brown. The colour combination and leaf shape make it an attractive variety in both large and small aquariums. It flowers frequently under water but does not produce seeds there. Anubias species seem to grow so slowly that they do not realise that they have been submerged. It is not eaten by herbivorous fish.

Zosterella dubia

Family Pontederiaceae

Continent North America

Region North and Central America

Country of origin

Height 15-50 cm

Width 10-15 cm

Temperature 10-28 °C

pH tolerance 5-8

Growth very fast

Demands easy

Aquarium enthusiasts have known Zostella dubia for many years, but it had almost disappeared for a time. With scattered leaves that distinguish it from most other aquarium plants, it resembles Heteranthera zosterifolia, but is twice as big and far easier to grow successfully. It is best planted in a group, and if it grows too tall, the top can be pinched off and re-planted on the bottom. The plant makes few demands and thrives in most aquariums, which makes it a good plant for beginners.

Littorella uniflora

Family Plantaginaceae

Continent Europe

Region

Country of origin

Height 3-5 cm

Width 3-5 cm

Temperature 1-25 °C

pH tolerance 6-7,5

Growth slow

Demands medium

Littorella uniflora grows in swamps as well as under water on sandy substrates low in nutrients in lakes with soft water in Northern Europe and North America. Whether in the wild or in the aquarium, L. uniflora requires good light conditions, but if these are provided, it forms runners and creates a close, light green carpet of rosettes of short, stiff leaves, and it is therefore an excellent foreground plant. L. uniflora can absorb CO2 from the water phase like most other aquatic plants, but can also absorb CO2 from the substrate through air channels in its roots and leaves. This means that L. uniflora is comfortably viable in an aquarium where CO2 is not added to the water.

Echinodorus 'Aquartica'

Family Alismataceae

Continent Cultivar , South America

Region

Country of origin

Height 10-15 cm

Width 10-15 cm

Temperature 18-28 °C

Hardness tolerance soft-hard

pH tolerance 6,5-8

Growth slow

Demands easy

Characteristic of Echinodorus 'Aquartica' are its round, bright green leaves. Its compact, low habit makes it suitable as a decorative solitary plant. Slow growing and easy to care for, Echinodorus 'Aquartica' retains the refreshing green colour of its leaves in normal lighting and nutrient conditions in the aquarium. The plant is a cross between several different cultivated plants, including E. horemanii and several round-leafed Echinodorus species. Echinodorus 'Aquartica' was developed by Kristian Iversen from the ''Aquartica'' company.

Echinodorus 'Rubin'

Family Alismataceae

Continent Cultivar , South America

Region Cultivar

Country of origin Cultivar

Height 30-50+ cm

Width 20-40 cm

Temperature 18-30 °C

pH tolerance 5,5-8

Growth medium

Demands easy

Echinodorus 'Rubin' is a decorative hybrid between Echinodorus horemanii ''rot'' and Echinodorus x barthii. The transparent, ruby-red leaves with light leaf ribs provide a particularly intensive sheen. An undemanding plant whose growth is stimulated by CO2 addition and a nutritious bottom. A good solitary plant for large aquariums.

Limnobium laevigatum

Family Hydrocharitaceae

Continent South America

Region Central and South America

Country of origin

Height 1-5 cm

Width 5-10+ cm

Temperature 18-28 °C

pH tolerance 5-8

Growth medium

Demands difficult

Limnobium laevigatum is a decorative plant that is particularly suitable for open aquariums. It is also good in traditional aquariums, because the fine, long and decorative roots provide protection to gouramies and other surface fish that like the roots of floating plants. If there are enough nutrients in the water and the light intensity is good, new leaves will appear above the water surface.

tricularia graminifolia

Family Lentibulariaceae

Continent Asia

Region

Country of origin

Height 2-5 cm

Width 5-8+ cm

Temperature 16-28 °C

pH tolerance 6-7,5

Growth medium

Demands medium

Utricularia graminifolia belongs to the bladderwort family. All the plants in this family are insect eating, perennial water and marsh plants. Bladder traps are a unique feature of this family, which Utricularia graminifolia forms after a short period of time in the aquarium. The species name means 'with grass like leaves' and the fresh green leaves after a short period of time form a pretty mat which looks like a lawn. Utricularia graminifolia is therefore an ideal foreground plant.

Hemianthus callitrichoides ''Cuba''

Family Scrophulariaceae

Continent South America

Region

Country of origin Cuba

Height 5-3 cm

Width 3-10+ cm

Temperature 18-28 °C

pH tolerance 5-7,5

Growth medium

Demands medium

Hemianthus callitrichoides is one of the smallest aquarium plants in the world, and creeps over the bottom with millimetre-sized round leaves. If planted in small clumps a few centimetres apart, it will spread rapidly and cover the bottom like a carpet. Hemianthus callitrichoides is an attractive foreground plant for small aquariums, and makes few demands. Found on Cuba west of Havana.

Lilaeopsis mauritiana

Family Apiaceae

Continent Africa

Region Africa

Country of origin Mauritius

Height 5-10 cm

Width 3+ cm

Temperature 15-28 °C

pH tolerance 5,5-8

Growth slow

Demands medium

This Lilaeopsis species demands less light than Lilaeopsis brasiliensis. TropicaÆs owner, Holger Windeløv, found it on Mauritius in 1992. The plantÆs height and distance between its leaves depend on the light intensity. The more light it gets, the lower the plant and the denser the leaves. The runners spread round the aquarium, and growth is more compact when planted in a pot or between stones or other objects. Should be planted like Lilaeopsis brasiliensis.

Hydrocotyle leucocephala

Family Apiaceae

Continent South America

Region South America

Country of origin

Height 10-20 cm

Width 5-15 cm

Temperature 15-28 °C

pH tolerance 5-9

Growth fast

Demands easy

A plant that grows fast and adapts easily, thriving in relatively hard water. Immediately after planting Hydrocotyle leucocephala will grow towards the light and the surface, where it will spread. It does not need to be rooted, but can be used as a floating plant which provides a hiding-place for young fish. Used as a herb in the tropics.

Of the plants listed I've grown three.

I gave up on the Riccia after fighting with it for awhile. This was before my highlight tank really got established, which may have played a part in my difficulties. I could get it to spread fairly well by floating it, but just didn't have the patience to get it to form a carpet.

Eleocharis acicularis is pretty awesome. I really like the way that it looks. I actually just rearranged my 2.5 Gallon to give it more room to spread and will be using it as the main background plant.

You've listed Anubias Nana "Petite" twice, but considering what a great plant it is I can see why. I've had this plant in both low and high light tanks and love it in both. If you like Anubias Nana, you'll like this tiny little plant.

Cladorpha aegagropila (you'll likely find lots of info about them by searching for Marimo balls) are pretty neat at first and super easy, but are hard to incorporate into a 'scape. I broke mine up into a psuedo carpet and it turned out alright. (There's a couple pics in my gallery somewhere if you want.)

You may find it interesting that when Riccia sp. "Dwarf" was offered in my plant club, there was a moment of silence before anyone picked it up. Someone asked, "Hey, remember when everyone wanted Riccia?" ;) Riccia is really cool but boy, does it get messy. The dwarf species looks nice though (have not tried it, only regular Riccia).

M. tenerum is a distinctive plant and has a really nice dark green. Its easier to manage than Riccia imo because it sinks -- An t-iasg even used it in a soap dish as a betta bed. I could not get the cool mounds others have, like the midground in this tank, which makes it looks its nicest I think: http://showcase.aquatic-gardeners.org/2004.cgi?&Scale=514&op=showcase&category=0&vol=1&id=57 I think if you incorporate mounds of it with mounds of Riccia and Riccia sp "Dwarf" it will look very interesting. Like Riccia variants it does not attach.

Java moss is strange for me in that it doesn't do well under bright light, but rather seems happiest shaded.

Xmas moss is cool. It also attaches strong. I took a tip from Rich recently about making a point to fluff it up and wave my hand in front of it a few times a week to get the debris out. It looks much nicer this way. The neatest thing about it, ime, is that unlike java moss you can put it under unobstructed light and it will stay happy. It also stays very dense and is easier to manage, though it takes a minute to get going.

It is a neat set of plants and I'll bet your tank will look very unique. HTH

Back
Top Bottom