Plant is Producing Salt?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FlakRiot

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have some floating plants that a friend gave me from her aquarium and ever since I added it my tank water has been getting salty. Can some aquatic plants produce salt? Well, that's a dumb question of course some can. Should I be concerned about this? They are in my ghost shrimp tank and that will eventually have a betta in it once it finishes cycling.

I have some floating plants that a friend gave me from her aquarium and ever since I added it my tank water has been getting salty. Can some aquatic plants produce salt? Well, that's a dumb question of course some can. Should I be concerned about this? They are in my ghost shrimp tank and that will eventually have a betta in it once it finishes cycling.

What makes you think the water is salty?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

The excess that I had went in a Tupperware in a window. With water and you can definitely smell the salt.

Sent from my SM-G925T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

The excess that I had went in a Tupperware in a window. With water and you can definitely smell the salt.

Just to be sure, can you pour another sample into a clean glass and use tap water as a control.

For clarification. Just leave a glass of tap water in the window to see if salt builds up?

The only aquarium plant I know of that produces salt is mangroves. And even those it's not producing salt it forces the salt of the water out through its leaves.

My suggestion would be to take a ph test of both your tap and your tank.

My guess is, the salt is calcium chloride which is accumulating by evaporation and is now noticeable because the floating plants now give a surface to dry onto.

More frequent water changes should diminish this effect. (Diluting before evaporation increases concentration).

Thankyou. You are probably right. I did a few decent water changes and the smell is virtually gone.

For clarification. Just leave a glass of tap water in the window to see if salt builds up?

I forgot to reply to this. Yes, the glass of tap water is a control. Preferably it would be in a similar Tupperware container.
I also think it is evaporation as mentioned above.

Sorry I forgot to reply. I did a lot of water changes and the smell seems to have gone away. I'm wondering if it was probably something that was happening from how she treated her water. I use as little as possible to treat my water but everytime she does a water change she adds so much stuff. I don't know what half of it is I just know that her Bettas always look good.

Back
Top Bottom