Plant/light suggestions for tall aquarium?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

allysonwonderland

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm planning on getting a Marineland 56 gallon "column" aquarium soon and would like for it to be relatively planted. The dimensions are 30L x 18W x 24H and I've heard that the height could make things difficult, but I have no real experience maintaining aquarium plants.

Could someone suggest what light I would need to get, and what plants would do well in a taller tank? My knowledge of plants is limited, but I have a preference towards separate leafy plants like java fern and moneywort instead of "feathery" ones like anacharis and hornwort. I'd like a combination of tall ones and short ones, and I'm not opposed to the carpeting I see in some pictures.

I'm planning to design the substrate similar to this picture: http://www.wetwebmedia.com/ca/volume_2/cav2i6/planted_aquascaping/small_pics/4-23_front.JPG

I'll be using white gravel for the front and path, and a mixture of eco complete and black gravel for the dark substrate, where the plants will be.

And an edit: do I put the plants in first or the fish?

If anyone has ANY suggestions, please feel free!

First you need to decide if you want to do a low light tank with mainly java ferns, anubia's, crypt's, and such. In such a tank with lower light most carpeting plants won't work as there isn't enough light.

You could go medium light with something like a dual bulb T5HO fixture and have a few more choices in plants you could use. You could then possibly use Hydrocotyle sp."Japan" or Staurogyne sp. "Repens". Crypt Parva could be used as a small accent foreground plant also. There are LED light available but your tank depth may be an issue. If you PM Brian_Nano12g you could ask him what LED's for planted tanks might work.

I also suggest looking into using liquid carbon daily. You can get a gallon of Metricide 14 day solution for around $27 shipped, mix it at a 1:1 ratio with distilled or RO water and get 2 gallons very cheap.

If you do low light then using Seachem Flourish Comprehensive along with API Leaf Zone would work fine for ferts weekly. But if you decide to go with medium light then I would suggest using dry ferts, which are very economical and give plants all the macro and micro nutrients they need.

You can set up the tank and plant it as it will cycle much faster with plants.

Thank you so much for the response!

The tank comes with a single bulb fixture, if I use this bulb, would that be enough or should I buy the dual bulb fixture? And if I did use this bulb, could I do low light or medium light? Aqueon® Floramax T8 Fluorescent Lamp - Lighting & Hoods - Fish - PetSmart

And secondly, even if I have lots of fish, do I still use the liquid carbon and fertilizers?

That is going to be very low light so using the liquid carbon will be a big aid in helping plants to use what little light is available. It's safe for fish and other inhabitants. You might be able to do Jungle Val and you can do Anubia's, Java Ferns, and Bolbitus. The last three do best tied onto something like a piece of DW.

Thank you so much for the response!

The tank comes with a single bulb fixture, if I use this bulb, would that be enough or should I buy the dual bulb fixture? And if I did use this bulb, could I do low light or medium light? Aqueon® Floramax T8 Fluorescent Lamp - Lighting & Hoods - Fish - PetSmart

And secondly, even if I have lots of fish, do I still use the liquid carbon and fertilizers?

You should buy a dual bulb.. that single T8 on a tank as tall as yours would be suitable for fish-only.

Odyssea makes some inexpensive t5ho fixtures that come with two bulbs.
http://www.aquatraders.com/24-inch-2x24W-T5-Aquarium-Light-Fixture-p/52121p.htm

My 44g is 24 inches high, I use a finnex ray 2 and a finnex monster ray, and get medium to high light. I was doing well with only ferts and glut until I added the monster ray and am switching to pressurized co2. Those are options that have worked well for me at that depth and the light it gives me. Hope this helps.

Thanks all! This really helps, I think I will buy a dual t5 system to increase my options. If anyone else has any plant ideas, suggest away!

Back
Top Bottom