Plant opinions please!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gboy66

Aquarium Advice Addict
K, my planted tank is looking pretty good and i like it, but i hablve a couple problems with all of my hornwort. I have way too much! It grows quickly and sheds its needles all over the place, making me have to gravel vac every week, or twice a week. Also, whenever i move it tons of stuff gets all over the place. Is this toxic??

I want to replace it with a nicer plant, and am wondering what would look nice in this tank! I have alot of caves for my peacock eel and featherfin catfish, but do i have to keep these? Could i get rid of them or do they need the hiding spots? Any common moderate light tall plant that would work back there? Thanks. 40 gallon planted community. Pics!

What about Rotala Rotundifolia and/or Ludwigia? I started my planted tanks with these- both are easy to care for and will do fine in a moderate light setting.

A nice big sword or 2 will good. Or you can let your Valls spread out a bit.

With the Hornwort removed it looks like you'll have a lot more light to play with.

Mumma.of.two said:
Ditch the hornwort. It's a pest IMO/E. I'd get an amazon sword. It will just grow leaves over the tops of the rocks and caves. And get some new bulbs!! :p

Oh i like swords! Will they get that big? Maybe get a couple to line the back wall?

Yes! New bulbs. I mentioned that to my brother, so i will look into it. No walmarts around here that i know of though

epiphysis said:
A nice big sword or 2 will good. Or you can let your Valls spread out a bit.

With the Hornwort removed it looks like you'll have a lot more light to play with.

Ya seriously, haha i want to get it out of there, but there arent alot of lfs's with plants to choose from!

Coleallensmom said:
What about Rotala Rotundifolia and/or Ludwigia? I started my planted tanks with these- both are easy to care for and will do fine in a moderate light setting.

Ooh! I am really liking the colors of ludwigia, does it spread out a bit? Just to give you all an idea, i kindof like how vines spread up a wall, and spread out as well. Any plants that will grow up and to the sides more? (lol vines as an example, i know there are no such plants)

Are either of these swords? I have them, and there growing nicely, just wondering. Neither are big

Gboy66 said:
Ooh! I am really liking the colors of ludwigia, does it spread out a bit? Just to give you all an idea, i kindof like how vines spread up a wall, and spread out as well. Any plants that will grow up and to the sides more? (lol vines as an example, i know there are no such plants)

There are many species of 'ludwigia' range from species than will survive in low light to species that demand high light and pressurized co2. You'll have to be more specific if you want any kind of helpful advice.

aqua_chem said:
There are many species of 'ludwigia' range from species than will survive in low light to species that demand high light and pressurized co2. You'll have to be more specific if you want any kind of helpful advice.

Oh didnt know there were many types, it just sounded like there was only one type. To be specific, i like the ludwigia inclinata, and the palustris. I dont think either would do well in my tank though.

aqua_chem said:
Both of those are pretty light hungry. I have some Ludwigia inclinata var. verticillata in my tank. It's very pretty, but it loves the light.

http://i.imgur.com/E8Zix.jpg

Woah those look great! Really bright! So, ludwigia i guess isnt for me. Any other taller plants the would work? I like the large sword idea, anything else?

Woah those look great! Really bright! So, ludwigia i guess isnt for me. Any other taller plants the would work? I like the large sword idea, anything else?

Ludwigia repens (broadleaf) would probably work for you and is very similar to ludwigia palustris (narrow leaf) just needs less light.

Back
Top Bottom