Plant placement??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dstephen

Aquarium Advice Activist
IMG_0161.jpg
I want some more plants in this 37 gallon tall tank, does anyone have any suggestions on what plants would look good?

I like your set up....

Not sure what type of plant the taller thin one is on the right, but I'd add more of those - I think it would really balance out the tank.

A lot of people tie anubias to wood, but I think it looks really great growing on top of the substrate - would be nice on either of the front, open corner areas...

The plants in the front center appear to block the viewing area, might just be the image?

Having to trim is good sign!

If you like the taller thin look, you might consider Cryptocoryne spiralis or Cryptocoryne balansae (one of my favorites) in place of the onion. They are exceptional background plants but they do grow tall - not sure of your tanks height.

Where in the back? My tank is not very deep. I already have the rotala in the back-center

I think the 37 gallons are 23" high - the crypts I mentioned can grow 20"-23"... so they will grow to the top (which I like!).

I would place them over in the corner where onion's at and wrap them around the back of the wood - just in the corner, not the entire backside - unless you like the jungle look (which I also like!)....

The two crypts that you mentioned.. I haven't really looked into those kind, which would look better in my tank with the plants I have?

Either species would be nice and would compliment your current plants - they are do different which is nice.

But if I were picking one or the other, I prefer the Balanesae.

They are crypts... so they don't like change, they will often melt when first planted but they will return and are hardy once established - they are not difficult to grow.

Thanks. I feel like I should take out the sword on the left? It's more of a center piece. I have it in the back and it is kind of flattening out.

I've had it for a few months now. It used to have short broad leaves like anubias at the top. Now it has long leaves and flattened.

I've had it for a few months now. It used to have short broad leaves like anubias at the top. Now it has long leaves and flattened.

I second the crypt b. I've got it in the back corner of my tank it really is an awesome plant. I'd position it under your filter outtake so when it gets the the surface it will bend and run along the top of the tank. Adds a really nice effect.

Few plant ideas of mine would be crypt wendtii around the base of the DW on the right, needle leaf Java fern in the mid ground on the left.

I'd also stand the DW on the left up abit more even if u need to lean it on a rock or something and hide the rock with plants.

Crypt parva is another good plant that may add a nice touch along the front of the tank in front of the stag.

Maybe some willow moss on the large drift wood? Top to bottom on top side only?

Whenever I put plants next to the filter intake the plant gets pulled to it and gets stuck.

Crypts would be a nice addition. Balansae in the back, wendtii in he midground.
Not sure if you should trim the dwarf sag. I would definitely break up that cluster in the front. Draws too much attention to the center of the tank. I would replant them along the front somewhat randomly at least 2-3" from the front glass.

Too many snails. Start controlling them. Else you will face a snail tank soon. They multiply very fast. Your thoughts.

Yes cryptocornes would be nice.. They would love themselves some root tabs added to substrate under them. Actually all your plants would

If I was to add my 2 cents. In the back corners add some tall stem plants or swords and then get some small to medium sized crypts to fill in the mid left right sections some. That would leave the front for some future ground cover if you choose

Could even add some rocks to separate the the sections with some creativity and create some cascading

Too many snails. Start controlling them. Else you will face a snail tank soon. They multiply very fast. Your thoughts.

Snails population explosions are mostly a product of over feeding or too much decaying matter. If a tank is dialed in and algaes are in control the snails won't proliferate enough to be a nuisance

snails are also very beneficial and are very beneficial to the eco system.

Funken_A has some good suggestions.

Whenever I put plants next to the filter intake the plant gets pulled to it and gets stuck.

Perhaps remove a section of the intake to raise it up higher?

This is random (don't recall snails being mentioned in this thread).
I have many snails in my planted and shrimp tanks and they do not pose a problem. They are indicators of the health of the tank and serve a purpose. Yes, anything in excess is a problem.

Back
Top Bottom