Plant prepping

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Caliban07

Aquarium Advice Addict
How do I prep plants before going in to my aquarium for ridding snail eggs?

I've heard people putting them in bleach but what kind of bleach?

I've read to mix a 1/10 ratio of (laundry grade)bleach and water, and using it as a dip, then rinsing the plant under the faucet before planting.
Personally, I just rinse my plants under the faucet, paying extra attention to the roots and tight clusters of leaves where any debri/substrate clung on for the journey! It doesn't always rid the plants completely of baby snails or eggs, but certainly thins the herd of any snails mature enough to reproduce... Those that do survive are quite beneficial though!
When a plant is placed in a new tank it while usually shed or melt off leaves that it grew while in the previous tank that were appropriate to that tanks water column. When planted in a new tank, it will grow leaves that are better suited to draw nutrients from the current water column leaving you with the old leaves breaking down at the bottom of your tank. Ideally you take the dead leaves out by hand but, having those little snails to eat away the bits and pieces you don't see or can't get to until the next WC is a great help! Not to mention them cleaning up algae on the leaves, sand, and glass that my SAE's don't touch!

I do 2 things depending on what in doing it on, the thing I recommend doing for plants is making a 1/10 ratio of hydrogen peroxide and water. I soak the plant for 2 to 3 minuets and I'm done! The hydrogen peroxide is the store brand but the only active ingredient is hydrogen peroxide 3%. Sometimes I use a slightly stronger mixture of the same thing with bleach or I make it 1/20 ratio. Your choice! After soaking I always rinse of with warm water.

Thanks to both. I'll just rinse them and put some assassin snails in when the population rises too much.

That would definitely explain where those brown tissue like leaves come from. The tank is bare at the moment. I only have 2 x 25w t8s and I read you need at least 1 watt per 3 litres in a book I have. I need a new light unit maybe t5s so I can have more variety.

Any other suggestions?

Leds will be cheaper than t5s in the long run

Sent from my LG-MS770 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Leds will be cheaper than t5s in the long run

How can I get these for a juwel vision 180. Or should I just accept I need a new tank and get one with LEDs.

How much better are LEDs compared with t5s for plant growth? Can you have most plant types with LEDs?

A 3 foot LED should fit perfectly on your tank. However there are slim pickings for freshwater LEDs that can sustain plant growth. Commonly used LEDs are: current USA freshwater satellite plus, Catalina has a few, and flick has one that I've heard good reviews on.
The intensity of LED bulbs tend to be on par with t5 HO bulbs. The reason people like LEDs more is the fact that they're slimmer and have a much longer life. So instead of having to replace light bulbs every year, LEDs should last around 10 years.

A 3 foot LED should fit perfectly on your tank. However there are slim pickings for freshwater LEDs that can sustain plant growth. Commonly used LEDs are: current USA freshwater satellite plus, Catalina has a few, and flick has one that I've heard good reviews on.
The intensity of LED bulbs tend to be on par with t5 HO bulbs. The reason people like LEDs more is the fact that they're slimmer and have a much longer life. So instead of having to replace light bulbs every year, LEDs should last around 10 years.

Thanks.

I've just bought 9 plants and a new bulb to replace my colour bulb so I will have a sunlight and a bright light now. I'll give the names of my plants shortly.

What if I bought 2 LED strips and stuck them on the underside of the juwel vision flaps for extra lighting?

Also what is the best liquid fertiliser in your opinion?

I honestly don't think adding two strip LEDs would have that much of an effect on your light output. Most strip LEDs commercially available are used just to add color and "brighten" up the tank, although they don't have much if anything beneficial for plant growth. However, if you were to get two LEDs that were made specifically for plant growth and that had high intensity, that could work. Although by the time that's said and done you will have spent money equivalent to that of buying a new fixture.
For liquid fertilizers, flourish comprehensive works well.

Finnex ray and ray2 are made for plants and on the cheaper side of leds u can get them on Amazon

Ok thanks to both. The bulb I just put in is a power glo t8 25w 18000k (might be too high) it's high in the blue spectrum. 80 lux. The other is a JBL SOLAR sunlight tube and I'm not sure of the spec for that.

The plants I purchased are cobomba, 2 x possibly japanese rush, elodea, water wisteria I think or could be java fern and more than likely water hyssop.

All pretty common in all my LFS as I've seen and had them before. I hope they are low light plants and the lighting I have is sufficient. I just need some ferts.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1398528910.875840.jpg

Tank need some work. Needs arranging properly and a good background. Maybe some black cardboard. Swordtails are already munching on my plants.

I also just realised that I haven't been leaving the lights on nearly long enough 5 hours max so full 12 hour cycles will now be ensued.

Any criticism on lighting and plant choice (I didn't have much) is welcome and rectification recommendations would be obliged.

Thanks .

When I set-up my tank, I chose LED's due to how often bulbs needed to be replaced on T5's, etc..
I have seen a Juwel Vision 180 but never opened up the hood to see what space there was underneath. It would be a shame to lose its compact, yet contained look, just to add lighting... But that will be a personal decision for you to make!!!
As far as your scape, I wouldn't set it in stone, until you know for sure what plants will do well in your tank, and what won't. As your plants are new to you(still dropping old growth) having them easily accessible for trimming, and cleaning will be a benefit!
The ferts you chose should be made after you decide on lighting, as this will dictate what your plants will actually utilize. No sense in getting a comprehensive fertilizer regimen if it will only be feeding algae... There are some good websites that sell dry kits for PPS-pro, and EI dosing, which is much cheaper in the long run($15-20US for 2 years worth rather than a liquid that's $10 a bottle that will last a month or two tops).
And after those two decisions are made there is still the choice of liquid or pressurized C02 supplement. DIY C02 is out the window in a 180. There is a product called Metracide 14 available on Amazon, I don't have any expierence with it, but there are some members on here that do, and some good posts on how they dose it. I went the pressurized route with a 5lb cylinder. It's a bit costly at start up but lasts a while(got my first cylinder back in Febuary, and it hasn't dropped the pressure level yet). With pressurized you'll need the cylinder a regulator, a solenoid, a bubble counter, a check valve , C02 grade airline tube, a diffuser and lastly a drop checker, all said and done for me it was around $260 USD... So it is an investment, but increase in growth has allowed me to recoup some of those funds, by trading in some of my trimmings at my lfs! Theres a lot to sort out in a planted tank, but it's very rewarding to see the plants take off and the fish greatly appreciate it!

Thanks plantaholic. I'm trying to find a medium at the minute but there doesn't seem to be one. It's either fake or heavily planted.

In this house I'm limited. It's a small terrace and my tank is in an alcove next to the chimney breast. There's hardly any room to manoeuvre to do basic maintenance. This is the only reason co2 is off the cards. Our next house will be bigger and a co2 system will become more practical.

The vision has the middle bar that contains the t8 tubes and 1 flap either side vertically to allow easy access to back and front. The flaps are literally just thin plastic covers. I could easily use some double sided sticky foam pads to stick an led strip to it but if there will be no improvement then there's no point.

So I'm stuck with t8s and bulbs that I can only hope are a good mix and powerful enough to allow good lighting to all parts of every plant. At 25w each I know this is unlikely. Hopefully they are not too demanding of a plant. I doubt they are. I'll just try extending the light period now as I think the short light cycle may have been a factor in the cause of other plant deaths.

Paying for liquid ferts wouldn't bother me if I didn't have to have them shipped from the US. I'll be checking the dry out.

I guess only time will tell at the moment

The fish are much happier now and I guess that's the main thing.

Google search- led lighting compendium- check out the first link it'll be a planted tank forum post. It gives a huge list of light fixtures and there par values per distance it helped me allot.

Hey, just to comment on the photoperiod, 12 hours will be too much and you will start growing algae. Start with 8 hours, get a cheap timer and see how it goes.

18,000k bulb is no good for plant growth. Its far too high into the blue spectrum. Bulb needs to be between 6000k and 10000k

Photoperiod is far too long. You'll get algae problems. 6-8 hours is better

Back
Top Bottom