Plant Profiles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

beginner on the loose

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am brainstorming for my new 20 gallon tank so my question for you is...
What are the easiest plants to maintain?
What is the general profile for that plant?
Ready.... GO!

Thanks for all help.

It would be easier to answer this question if we knew what your equipment would be, and what substrate, and if you plan to use ferts and what kind. I have a lot of what I consider easy plants, but there are easy plants with the right light and easy plants with the right supplement and so on.

Easiest plant to maintain would be Amazon Swords, Vals, Anubias, and lilys. All requiring little light to little co2 (provided by fish respiratory). And java moss.

The general rule that I usually give to beginners is the more colorful and bushy the plants are the more difficult it is to keep.

It would be easier to answer this question if we knew what your equipment would be, and what substrate, and if you plan to use ferts and what kind. I have a lot of what I consider easy plants, but there are easy plants with the right light and easy plants with the right supplement and so on.
All of these things I am new too so I guess I will add on to my previous question. What is the best type of.... everything you just said. Sorry im new here :)

What Zim is trying to tell you is that you need to first tell us what your lighting especially is going to be because that determines the types of plants you can use. This needs to be answered so the proper types of plants can be suggested.

Without the above information the only plants I could suggest are Anubia's, Crypts, and Java Ferns. Most sword plants get too large for a 20g. These plants are low light tolerant but still need some fertilization. Root tabs for crytps and alittle liquid fertilizer for the anubia and java fern.

All of these things I am new too so I guess I will add on to my previous question. What is the best type of.... everything you just said. Sorry im new here :)

Do you know what tank you're getting? Does it have a stock light that comes with it? Are you just buying the glass tank and building from scratch? And what is your budget? Having a planted tank is wonderful balancing act, there isnt exactly a best type of anything because every situation is different and each type of plant requires a certain amount of things to survive. T5HO and HO LEDs are great lights, but certainly not the best in a small tank with only anubias and ferns, they don't need that much light and you'd probably be looking at a tank full of algae. Can you go to liveaquaria.com or aquaticplants.com and see what plants you like and would want in your tank? With that information and with knowing what your budget is it would be a lot easier to tell you what would work best and how to hopefully give you information that would lead to your successful planted tank

Back
Top Bottom