Plant Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Most aquarium plant will bloom if they are healthy and allowed to to grow above the water's surface. I've gotten Water Lettuce, Red Root Floater, Didiplis diandra, and Anubias Nana to bloom in my aquariums. Of these only the Anubias Nana bloomed while completely submersed.

I love it when my plants produce flowers! I've had jungle val, stargrass, and like purrbox, didiplis diandra and anubias nana. Best looking, IMO is anubias nana. Longest lasting also.

I have Madagascar Lace. The flower is very tall. It goes over the surface...

flowerhp4.jpg

What type of Anubias is this in my tank??

it's to the left of my divers mask..

also, i want to grow a moss wall in the corner of my tank. and then cover my plastic divers mask in 2 types of moss.

how do i go about doing this?

suggestions?

so far, i've found that mesh and netting is required.

will it grow around the plastic ornament?

Attachments

• P6270040.jpg
    P6270040.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 47
We'll need better/closer pics of the leaves on that anubias to make an ID for you.

As far as mosses, for a wall type setup mesh netting or that cross-stitching stuff is going to be the easiest way to go to build up a wall of it. As for the ornaments, moss will typically attach itself to whatever it's held against. I've never tried plastic before, but it could work. Tie the moss onto the ornament with a thin thread or fishing line, and over time the moss will attach itself to it.

The Anubias looks to be an Anubias barteri varient, though without some reference in size it'd be hard to guess which one.

these are close up pictures.

as you can probably tell, i have an algae prob...

just swapped the substrate, put a stocking of old gravel in, included about 2 gallons of old water.

how long till i can take out the stocking?
how long till i can add Ottos?
anything else i should do to encourage a good cycle?

does this anubias produce flowers?

Attachments

• P8090098.jpg
    P8090098.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 60
  • P8090103.jpg
    P8090103.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 49
All Anubias sp. will flower if healthy and happy. What size are the leaves?

these are close up pictures.

as you can probably tell, i have an algae prob...

just swapped the substrate, put a stocking of old gravel in, included about 2 gallons of old water.

how long till i can take out the stocking?
how long till i can add Ottos?
anything else i should do to encourage a good cycle?

does this anubias produce flowers?

Actually you have a brown diatom problem, not algae. It is usually temporary in new tanks. Ottos LOVE the stuff and if you decided to add one or two they would have it taken care of in a few days.

You can remove the stocking probably after you start detecting nirates. Looks like your stocked lightly and you've added old material from another tank so you're on the right track. Just keep monitoring your ammonia/nitrite/nitrate levels.

Back
Top Bottom