Plant Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheIrishJedi

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I would like to get some small/short little plants to adorn the front of my 55g. Kind of like a carpet.

They need to be hardy because I am a newb. I have no CO2. Tank parameters:

7.8-8.0 pH
0 Amm
0 No2
10 Nitrates
74-78 degrees.

Any ideas?

sags hair grass clover but again would need more light. you could try getting some shop lights from home depot to put over the tank adn see how well that works.

How much do I need for some plants like Java fern etc?

I am going to order a book on planted aquariums today. Might as well. But how many watts per gallon should be the rule?

Java fern is a low light plant....you could grow it with 1 watt per gallon (55 or so watts over your tank). But for carpet plants, you will want atleast 2.5 watts per gallon (~140 watts) or more. Some carpeting plants require more light than others....and since 55g tanks are tall, I'd go with more. But, you eventually run into needing co2. :)

some will be fine under low light. i would try some out under shop lights see how they do. heck you could always make a carpet out of moss. low light carpet is doable just a little harder and slower growing then higher light.

Back
Top Bottom