Plant Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

guns286

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm in the process of adding some live plants to my 75g tank. I'm not sure I want to actually PLANT anything yet, so I'm adding some Java Moss to driftwood and rocks. I'm also going to let Frogbit float on the top. The theme in my tank is ancient runes (cheesy, I know, but I like it). I wanted to add some plant life to make the fish feel alittle more at home. My question is, are there any plants that act like ivy does on land (wrap around things)? I dont mean grow on things, like moss. I want it to grow around things. Any ideas?

you can try pennywort. though its more med light plant.

img_1023103_0_cca4f0f2587b21eb1b654ac4d1069566.jpg

You could also try anacharis floating or planted it has a vine like structure but it will not wrap around things, also it grows fast and you can multiply it by clippings, its about 20 inches mature and very easy to care for.

Ok. Thanks for the suggestions.
I'm definatly starting off with Java Moss, Frogbit, maby Java Fern, and I've been reading some interesting things about Micro-Swords. I think I'm catching some sort of plant fever! I'm even looking for a chunk of Lace Rock to add some foliage to. I currently have stock (came with the tank) lights for my 75g tank. Most of the plants I want only require low to medium light but I was wondering if there were any recommended light bulbs, that would fit into me current light fixture, that would be better then the stock ones? I know I should get a whole set up but money is an issue. Any ideas?
Also, I think the water movement is OK towards the bottom of my tank (2' deep) but I was thinking of adding a small powerhead when I put the plants in. Just to make sure the flow is good for them. Good idea?

daylight deluxe from home depot/lowes.... really there no bulb you can replace to make it so you can grow high light plants. you will need to get a new fixture. micro swords are medium light slow growing plants that wont make it in your tank.

T5-HO Light

I figured high light requirments would be out of the question, right now. But what about low to medium requirments? Will the bulbs suggested in the last entry be ok for them? Like micro-swords. Will light bulbs alone allow me to grow a medium light plant?

you cant just put a new bulb in and be able to grow the medium light plants. you could try a couple shop lights over the tank. you prob have a very low watt light bulb which you prob wont be able to grow much anything more then moss anubias and java ferns with out replacing it.

Unfortunately stock lighting for a 75 gallon is usually only about 0.5 WPG and would be considered very low light. For even the medium light plants you would need to add to or upgrade your lighting fixture.

Back
Top Bottom