plant question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

daileene

Planted Tank Addict
Hi all. This might have been covered before, but i want to confirm for myself.

I have an aponogeton (sp?) Plant and for some reason it shoot out a long stem and it had a bud in the end. I though at first it was a flower. Then yesterday, the bud open up and it was shooting out new leaves. Is this normal? If it is, should i just cut the stem and replant it in the gravel? Please let me know. Thanks.

That's what's referred to as a runner. It's how rosette plants such as aponogetons, Vals, and swords reproduce. I would give the baby plant a little while to get some foliage growing, but after that you can cut the vine connecting them and replant it wherever you like.

Yes. Aponogeton bulbs will produce a cluster leaves on short stems and the at some point it will send up 1-5 stems looking to reach the top of the water. Most of the time the top leaves die off. I think the only purpose is to get enough light to produce a bulb, or flower. That bulb will form leaves and should be cut off and planted in the gravel at some point.

It's normal for aponogetons to send up runners with leaves and then bulbs. It's trying to reproduce.

A lot of plants for aquariums are trained. By trained, they are intentionally kept short and are not allowed to get leaves to reach the top of the water. over generations they stop producing these upper leaves.

I've read to always cut the leaves before they reach the top of the water. If you don't it could grow too large, block the light. I like seeing the shoots reach the top of the water. In fact if my lily would do that in the 125g, I would be super happy to welcome it. A new bulb won't be too far behind.

That's what's referred to as a runner. It's how rosette plants such as aponogetons, Vals, and swords reproduce. I would give the baby plant a little while to get some foliage growing, but after that you can cut the vine connecting them and replant it wherever you like.

Thank you so much. I always learn something interesting everytime I come here. Thank you so much.

Yes. Aponogeton bulbs will produce a cluster leaves on short stems and the at some point it will send up 1-5 stems looking to reach the top of the water. Most of the time the top leaves die off. I think the only purpose is to get enough light to produce a bulb, or flower. That bulb will form leaves and should be cut off and planted in the gravel at some point.

It's normal for aponogetons to send up runners with leaves and then bulbs. It's trying to reproduce.

A lot of plants for aquariums are trained. By trained, they are intentionally kept short and are not allowed to get leaves to reach the top of the water. over generations they stop producing these upper leaves.

I've read to always cut the leaves before they reach the top of the water. If you don't it could grow too large, block the light. I like seeing the shoots reach the top of the water. In fact if my lily would do that in the 125g, I would be super happy to welcome it. A new bulb won't be too far behind.

hi. Thank you for this information. For now, i only hve one stem coming out in the top of the water and it actually have like 2 to 3 leaves coming out now. So i might just let it stay there till it is a little wide open (the leaves) and then i can cut the stem and replant them. Thank you again for this wonderful info. I am so happy that my aponogeton is spreading. :D

Back
Top Bottom