Plant Recommendations for a 55 Gallon FW

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

McLumpy

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Because of this little incident...

While most people would be irritated that their LFS, (in my case, Petco), sold them non-aquatic plants, I can't help but laugh. :lol:

Yep, I did it, the ultimate plant n00b fail!

FAIL #1: "Aquatic Combo"
"Aquatic"? Really? Nope. Not after researching the plants that were listed on the plant tag. The following were the plants in the combo...

Dracaena, Spathiphyllum, Ophiopogon, Trichomanes, and Syngonium

Just researched them, only to find out that there is Lucky Bamboo, Peace Lily, etc. in this combo and they are NOT aquatic at all! What's really sad is I knew this! But w/ the scientific names listed, instead of the common names, I overlooked it. Although, I did read that these plants can stay in a tank for a couple of months, uh, if you want them to rot and pollute your water.

I'm not too terribly upset about it though... I was needing a nice plant for my office. :D

FAIL #2: Mondo Grass
Eh, yep, what I thought would make a great hiding place for my soon-to-be fry, this little guy w/ his beautiful gerth belongs in soil too.

Why exactly were these plants in the tank at the LFS and being sold as an aquatic plants? IMO, I think the LFS's are trying to pull a fast one on their consumers. *cough* Jerk-offs. *cough*

WINS:
Anubias, Amazon Sword, (Echinodorus bleheri), and Waterweed, (Egeria densa)

The Anubias is currently placed in the substrate because I didn't have time to attach it to my driftwood. The Amazon Sword it placed in the substrate as well, but its location is perfect. I just have the Waterweed floating and plan on keeping it that way, (at least for now). From what I hear, those grow like weeds... who knew?! lol

So yes, I goofed, but it taught me a few valuable lessons...

1) NEVER impulse-buy when it comes to live plants!
2) ALWAYS research plants, (like fish), BEFORE purchasing!

Ok, so there you go. Fire away! lol :splat:
...I come here seeking asistance from the AA plant experts.

What I would like are low-light plants that require minimal maintenance and add "height" to my background. I know that my options are limited, (especially since it's imparative that the plants are Pleco-proof). As much as I love my Pleco, I can't afford to replace plants every time he eats them. ;) Any ideas as to what plants would work?

Furthermore, I purchased a package of Plant Food Tabs, but no fertilizer, (mainly because I was going to ask about that on here before buying any). What type of fertilizer is recommended?

Also, I'm sure I probably need to replace my (2) All Glass 15 watt Fluorescent bulbs, (at least that's what I believe they are)... but what wattage/type bulb would be best?

TIA for your assistance! :D

Vallisneria (grass like) is a nice low light plant for background. Very hardy, can be used to hide heaters etc. There are different species. I have the thicker aka jungle val for background and corkscrew val for midground. That's a nice start.

If you only have 24w of light over the tank, you're not going to have any success with plants IMO. I tried once with two 18w fixtures over a 55g and failed. This left me with a bad taste in my mouth about plants. I eventually got over it and set up a high tech planted tank, then another, now planning another lol.

I'd up the lighting. You can do as little or as much as you want. Unless you up the lighting significantly, ferts aren't going to be a requirement IMO. I don't think the sword will do much good without medium to medium-high light. With that lighting comes the need for Co2. It's not hard, just ~$150 to initially set it up.

I don't think your pleco will become a problem unless its a common pleco. Then you'll have to worry about much more than just your plants ;)

Vallisneria (grass like) is a nice low light plant for background. Very hardy, can be used to hide heaters etc. There are different species. I have the thicker aka jungle val for background and corkscrew val for midground. That's a nice start.

I'll look into that... thanks! (y) Chances are, none of the LFS's will have it, (they seems really limited on their plant selection), but I could check out online sources.

If you only have 24w of light over the tank, you're not going to have any success with plants IMO. I tried once with two 18w fixtures over a 55g and failed. This left me with a bad taste in my mouth about plants. I eventually got over it and set up a high tech planted tank, then another, now planning another lol.

I'd up the lighting. You can do as little or as much as you want. Unless you up the lighting significantly, ferts aren't going to be a requirement IMO. I don't think the sword will do much good without medium to medium-high light. With that lighting comes the need for Co2. It's not hard, just ~$150 to initially set it up.

I don't think your pleco will become a problem unless its a common pleco. Then you'll have to worry about much more than just your plants ;)

I really don't want to go the Co2 route, if I can help it. I'm spending enough time and money on the tank as it is. ;) I will definitely upgrade the lighting though. I read something about 2 watts/gallon, but I didn't know if that was suggested for low-light plants or not. I have no problem adding ferts though. I figured the Amazon Sword would require a medium lighting setup, but do you think it could survive and thrive w/ a light-medium setup?

Oh and yes, it's a Common Pleco. That was my one and only fish purchase fail, (another impulse buy w/o researching first). lol He is about 8" right now, but I do have plans to rehome him when he gets too large for the tank. In the interim, he will continue cleaning my tank and keeping the others in-line. ;)

Thanks again for the input, guys! I'm looking forward to more as I want to do this the "right way" and not just throw a bunch of plants in there and hope for the best. lol

2wpg would be a good start if you are after medium light plants. For low light, if you can get to 1 wpg you will be ok. The lower the light, the easier the tank will be to maintain, but it will also limit growth and restrict the plant choices you have.

Check out http://www.plantgeek.net. It is a great resource for deciding what you want to grow. You can sort the plants by lighting requirements.

2wpg would be a good start if you are after medium light plants. For low light, if you can get to 1 wpg you will be ok. The lower the light, the easier the tank will be to maintain, but it will also limit growth and restrict the plant choices you have.

Check out PlantGeek.net - Your Aquatic Plant Resource. It is a great resource for deciding what you want to grow. You can sort the plants by lighting requirements.

Thanks! :D I checked out that site a couple of times when I began considering a planted tank. Great info there!

Correction

I have 2 - 15w bulbs not 12w, (like I originally stated), so I'm sitting at 30w right now. I would like to stick w/ my All-Glass Aquarium brand Single Tube Fluorescent Strip Lights and just replace the bulbs. However, I was doing even more research, (which I'm sure is driving my husband crazy lol), and HO T5 bulbs come highly recommended for planted tanks.

My problem is I priced these fixtures and I just can't swing spending that kind of money right now, (I just forked out $350 for a new water pump for my Jeep and money is tight). As the HO T5 bulbs aren't universal and require a different ballast, fan, etc., (i.e. needs an HO T5 fixture)... what else can I do? :confused: I was hoping to find replacement bulbs w/ higher wattage that would be compatible w/ my fixtures, but it looks like the highest they have is 15w. Guess this means I'm hosed, huh?

Hello dear..I am not an expert when it comes to the strip lights..I am the coil compact flourescent kinda girl. But I thought the t5ho is a hight output meaning if you'll get that, you are going to be in a high light category..meaning CO2. There might be a normal t5 you can find and much cheaper and it will put you into low-med light.

I could recommend Seachem Flourish or Seachem Flourish Comprehensive for fertilizer. Either way they are good. If you want to incorporate CO2 later, you can do a liquid one, Seachem Excel.

If you want to stick with low light plants, here is a link I got from Marconis before:

Excellent List of Low Light Plants

Keep us updated.

P.S. Plant food is good too. If you have normal gravel, root tabs once a month for the swords is good since they are heavy rooter or something like that..

Unfortunately you will not find higher wattage bulbs that will fit your fixture. Florescent bulbs are not like incandescent bulbs in that regard. Simply having t5ho does not automatically put you in high light. Instead you want to look for a lighting solution that will give you the proper wattage for the kinds of plants you would like to grow. For low light plants somewhere around 1wpg will do you well.

T5ho are excellent for planted tanks... But for a low tech/low light setup, t8s will suffice, so long as you have a sufficiently powered fixture over the tank.

see...that's why we have fort to help us...:) sorry for assuming about the high light fort....my apologies.

If you or your husband are DIY'ers, check out this site. Conversion is straight forward and their reflectors utilize the light in a way that they claim 162% output for their CF bulbs. Prices are more reasonable that many others too.

http://www.ahsupply.com/36-55w.htm

I have 1 36 watt kit on order and I really like that I can use my exisiting light hood for a cleaner look.

Sent from my Epic 4G

Thanks for the advice, Daileene and Fort! I really do appreciate it! :D

I just spent a whopping 3 hours researching lighting fixtures online that would work w/ my setup and in my price range. /sigh/ I'm pooped! lol I found one on sale at Big Al's, but they were sold out, (of course). Then I found a 24" Aqualight T-5 Double Strip Fixture, (details). With 2 of these, it will put my wattage at 56. I think this should be sufficient enough for low-lights, but that's it.

I also found myself cruising Craiglist and responded to an ad for a custom built canopy w/ a 4-bulb light fixture. There were no pics on the ad and the details were limited, so I have no idea if it was even worth checking on. But who knows, it might be exactly what I'm looking for! I'll wait to hear back from this seller before I make a move on the other fixtures.

As far as the Amazon Sword, I'm going to keep it in my tank and see if holds up under the new lighting. If it does, then I will buy a few more. It doesn't hurt to try. ;) I will definitely be looking into more low-light plants, (btw, thanks for the link, Daileene... you're a sweety!), I just want to get my lighting in order first, (which is what I should have done in the first place). Meh, I was anxious, what can ya do? lol

If you or your husband are DIY'ers, check out this site. Conversion is straight forward and their reflectors utilize the light in a way that they claim 162% output for their CF bulbs. Prices are more reasonable that many others too.

36 or 55 watt Bright Kits

I have 1 36 watt kit on order and I really like that I can use my exisiting light hood for a cleaner look.

Sent from my Epic 4G

Well, I'm a DIY'er, my husband on the other hand... lol. I've installed kitchen sinks, faucets, garbage disposals, sump pumps, etc... so that would be something different from the 'norm' for me. I'll definitely consider that as an option though. :D

Thank you for the link! (y)

McLumpy said:
Thanks for the advice, Daileene and Fort! I really do appreciate it! :D

I just spent a whopping 3 hours researching lighting fixtures online that would work w/ my setup and in my price range. /sigh/ I'm pooped! lol I found one on sale at Big Al's, but they were sold out, (of course). Then I found a 24" Aqualight T-5 Double Strip Fixture, (details). With 2 of these, it will put my wattage at 56. I think this should be sufficient enough for low-lights, but that's it.

I also found myself cruising Craiglist and responded to an ad for a custom built canopy w/ a 4-bulb light fixture. There were no pics on the ad and the details were limited, so I have no idea if it was even worth checking on. But who knows, it might be exactly what I'm looking for! I'll wait to hear back from this seller before I make a move on the other fixtures.

As far as the Amazon Sword, I'm going to keep it in my tank and see if holds up under the new lighting. If it does, then I will buy a few more. It doesn't hurt to try. ;) I will definitely be looking into more low-light plants, (btw, thanks for the link, Daileene... you're a sweety!), I just want to get my lighting in order first, (which is what I should have done in the first place). Meh, I was anxious, what can ya do? lol

Check out aquabid.com... They have 48" dual T5 HO very cheap! ;) just ordered from them on Thursday.

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch 3G Slide using Aquarium

You're looking in the wrong place ;)

Check this out- 2x54w

You're just trying to get me to invest in a Co2, aren't you? lol Great prices on the fixtures though! Maybe if I decide to go high-tech later on, that would definitely be the site I would go to first for my lighting.

Sorry ment Aquatraders.com.... didn't realize my phone typed aquabid.

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch 3G Slide using Aquarium

Hey, no problem... it happens a lot w/ people posting w/ their phones. ;) I'm just glad you corrected the site for me... lots of cool stuff, for real cheap!

I think I found exactly what I'm looking for on there, (at least I hope so!). It's only $59.99 and I'm sure I can swing that after next payday. It's the Odyssea Power Compact 48" Light Fixture shown here. This would be much better than getting 2-24" lights. However, I'm not sure about 130 watts. I'm wanting to go w/ low-medium light plants, but would this require me to set-up a Co2? That's why I was looking into the 56 total watt Aqualight fixtures. What do you guys think?

Btw, I have yet to receive a response from the person on Craigslist. I'm not too surprised though. They probably sold it already, forgot to delete their ad, and just ignored my email. That bugs me to no end! :rolleyes:

So here's the cool part. You can run one daylight bulb and one actinic bulb in an HO unit, giving you 54w. That would be sufficient for low light plants, probably some medium-low light plants too. Then, if you decide to go high tech, you can just replace the actinic with a daylight. The actinic will also give you some super cool blue that will really bring out the colors in the fish IMO.

I've yet to read very many good things about Odyssea lights. I've seen several reviews about them being junk. Melting inside, overheating, just going out after a little while, etc. I'd be careful about ordering one of those fixtures.

Dont be a hater on CL ads that don't get deleted. I have a bad tendency to forget about mine too :(

So here's the cool part. You can run one daylight bulb and one actinic bulb in an HO unit, giving you 54w. That would be sufficient for low light plants, probably some medium-low light plants too. Then, if you decide to go high tech, you can just replace the actinic with a daylight. The actinic will also give you some super cool blue that will really bring out the colors in the fish IMO.

I've yet to read very many good things about Odyssea lights. I've seen several reviews about them being junk. Melting inside, overheating, just going out after a little while, etc. I'd be careful about ordering one of those fixtures.

Dont be a hater on CL ads that don't get deleted. I have a bad tendency to forget about mine too :(

So, what you're saying now is that an HO fixture can have low wattage bulbs and I wouldn't need a Co2? Ok, now I'm confused... this can't possibly be this difficult! lol I'm just wanting a basic setup w/ enough watts so the plants that I currently have, and plan on getting, won't die. At this point, I could care less about if they grow fast or not. A steady growth is fine by me. ;)

Edit: Oh and thanks for the info about the Odyssea fixtures! :D I will look into them more before I go w/ that fixture. That is if the 130w is optimal for my tank.

Sorry about the CL comment. I can only hope that you at least reply back and say, "oops, I forgot to remove my ad", (most people don't even have the courtesy to do that). Meh.

Back
Top Bottom