Plant recovering from cold water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fish_4_all

Aquarium Advice Addict
I lost power here for 5 days and my plants have suffered. I won't talk about the fish short of saying I am starting over, completely. The plants I thought had come out of it fine but now they are losing their leaves suffering badly. The temperature got down to 40F or lower in the tanks for 3 days so it was a nasty power outage.

My Anubias, both Nana and Afzelli are losing their leaves, turning brown and basically rotting off. Most of the rhozimes seem in tact but the ends on some of them are turning to mush, or seem to be. Might just be an attempt to close off the ends by the plant or something similar. Most of the leaves have been removed so the rhizome doesn't have to put so much energy into repairing them.
My Bacopa Australis and Primrose are both losing their leaves and seem that the stems might suffer also.
Crypt Lucens is pouting but shows no adverse effects, yet, short of lack of growth.

Is there anything I can do to help the plants recover or am I looking at possibly losing them all?

I dose plenty of nutrients, EI basically but I lost all my biolocal filtration and also had a massive spike in both ammonia and nitrites.

pH 7.4
GH 10
KH 8
Temp now steady 78F
Lighting is ~33 watts over 10 gallon tank.
Ammonia is now 0ppm
Nitrites now 0ppm
Nitrates ~20ppm

I'm sorry to hear about your tragedy. There's nothing you can do when you lose your power for such a long time. Your best bet is to simply maintain your tank at its regular conditions and hope that you can salvage some of your plants. I suspect that most, if not all, of your rhizome plants (Anubias, Crypts, ferns, etc.) will recover due to the reserves stored in their rhizomes, but your stem plants may have a much harder time of it. Make sure they get plenty of light and you may be able to save enough stems to propagate new bunches. If you need any new plants I would be happy to send you anything I can, just let me know :)

Back
Top Bottom