plant roots

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

the_fish_man

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I am a :n00b: with plants. And so this might be normal but roots have started to grow out the sides of my ludwigia repens and moneywort I this normal or should I cut them off.
Thanks

Did you get the plants? Yes it's perfectly normal. I wouldn't cut the roots off the shoots until they are recovered from shipping. The acclimatization process will take a month before they are big and strong again. Most stem plants send out shoot roots, don't worry about it.

ok. and yes I got the plants. I was going to PM you to tell you but I guess I don,t now. I will post feedback tomorrow I was very pleased with the plants. But in a bout a month I can cut the roots off?

Yep, it's best not to injure the plants anymore for now. Just remove any dead or bruised leaves and plant however you like. Use sharp stainless steel scissors (I got mine at the local drug store in the nail care section) and prune the very tips of the stems to get bushier growth(do so in a month like the roots). Any pruning or cutting should be held back for another month.

If you see some of my older FTS you will notice I got a really deep purple-red color on the plants. You need high lights and low nitrates to perform this task.

EDIT:
dsc01395w.jpg

High light, low nitrates.

Back
Top Bottom