Plant stems going black

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mania

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Higuys i am totally new to the whole planted tank thing. I have a range ofdifferent plants and some are doing better than others. Some are really florishing (the ones doing best are i think golden vise or something rather) but some, the stalks are going black and like decaying leaving it weak and soft having the top of the plant break off after a while. I a

Hi thanks for this input, i realised i needed to be adding carbon to the tank

Do you mean carbon in the filter, or carbon to the water(CO2 or the like)?

When stems rot from the bottom up without ever growing roots, it is due to insuffiecient light. It means your light is not intense, bright enough. You should have between 2 and 3 watts of flourescent light per gallon of water. If you are just using the strip light that came with your tank, you need to replace it with a higher wattage fixture that holds more than one bulb. T5 light fixtures are what most people are using now

Ok no problem, i am now getting the plants root and grow but no doubt having better lights will really get them flourishing!
Thanks

Just be careful, with the increase of light it also poses the risk of algae taking off. Typically if you stay below 2.5 watts per gallon (wpg) you can avoid injecting CO2. You can grow a wide range of plants at 2.0wpg though.

Hydrogen Sulfide. It happens during anaerobic decomposition. That's what a lot of the smell from a septic tank is that hasn't been pumped out regularly.

Back
Top Bottom