Plant Suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

colematthewmalaka

Aquarium Advice Freak
Three Hills, AB the wheat capital of Alberta!!!
Hi I have a 30 gal tank with 2 German blue rams and a 5" pleco I'm gonna make another amazon biotope tank with it and add more fish. I'm sick of fake plants and am looking for suggestions. It has incandescent fittings but i found fluorescent lights that are really bright and bring out the beauty of the tank. Hairgrass is something i've always wanted, would it be good? I want beautiful plants that will bring out the best in my tank.:D

P.S. What would the best shoaling fish be for a amazon tank???

Be careful with those screw in household CFL's they grow algae very rapidly. Its the slime kind not "normal" algae. I might have some left that I scraped out of the 10g when I tore it down, I keep the algae for my garden, tomatoes love the stuff.

Dont rainbows shoal?

I am going the same route as you, got my CO2 diy done jsut need the yeast and ALUM for plants, I was thinking pennywort for a top water, just a floater and some hairgrass throughout, maybe some swords and some very tall anacharis LIKE plants that will give depth and cover to the rear of the tank.

aquariumplants.com has some nice plants and pics however there are tons of sites for them. I am taking pics and taping them to the back of the tank to see how they would look in there. Id like to get some java fern and some mossy stuf for the bigger rocks in my tank.

Check the classifieds section of the forum too - or ask users. You can usually find plants for sale or trade at ROCK BOTTOM prices. I usually sell plant packages that would retail for $50-60 in a store for $20 or less with shipping... and many users sell similar packages.

One word about the pleco he might like to rearrange the plants. I have bristlenose that doesn't like plants in a certain part of the tank. I have other plecos that are just fine with the same type of plants.

You will want to try to find someone with plants in Canada because shipping over the border can be a hassle.

Rummynose tetras are a nice shoaling fish.

i know that you metioned once that you want to breed your rams. everyone says that they like to lay eggs on a flat surface like slate. but mine only lay eggs on the leaves of my kleiner sword and my hygrophilia kompact. so maybe something with large leaves would be good for you.

Back
Top Bottom