plant suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Japola44

Aquarium Advice Freak
i am looking for some low light floating plants. I want them for the african butterfly fish i am getting in my 55gal tank, it has about 1.6wpg with two 48" NO bulbs.

Also I want to plant my 20gal, so what are some good plants that don't grow very fast. My 20 gal has a set up of two 10 watt CF bulbs. I forgot how many lumens but the blubs are above 6000K. I don't really plan on adding a CO2 system unless it is a necessity.

TIA

EDIT:

here is some info about my tanks

55gal
pH 7.2
sand and gravel substrate
water temp 80 degrees

20gal
pH 7.6
gravel substrate
water temp 78 degrees

Duckweed is a pest plant. Once introduced, its near impossible to get rid of. Even tanks left fallow for 2 months have been know to be reinfested with it. I'd stick with anubias, aponogetons, java ferns, and A. reineckii. Maybe some java moss on driftwood. Crypts always do well too.

java ferns can be left as floaters, and hornwort would probably make it if left to float.
i too would steer clear of duckweed.

duckweed is the bane of my existence! it hitchhiked on a plant shipment and now i can't get rid of it. i skim it off the surface twice a week and it just grows and grows and grows. and it WILL choke the life out of your other plants because it blocks the light. in small quantities, like in a lowlight tank, it's cute--but high light tanks...watch out!

Vals grown so tall it loops over, Anacharis, and Hydrocotyle sp. are others that your butterfly fish should like.

I second hornwort, I have handfuls in my 29 and 55 as Platy fry cover. Pennywort will float well but tends to grow a lot of aerial roots when it does.

Back
Top Bottom