Plant suggestions for my tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FallenAngel

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am setting up a 30 gallon aquarium and am look for plant suggestions. I currently have a 10 gallon aquarium planted with Anubis because the lights on the tank are very poor and almost never work. I am going to try to move these plants over to the new 30 but they may not survive the change in lighting. I was wondering what other types of plants I can add to the new tank to create more contrast? They need to be easy to care for, I also do not have a carbon dioxide defuser. Do I need to buy one?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

If you have low light and plants with undemanding requirements you do not need to worry about CO2 injection. Much will depend on your actual lighting that you will have but plants you can look into and research are various anubias, Java fern, Java/flame/Christmas moss, crypts, and swords. When you know your exact lighting we'll likely be able to list even more.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1407438040.065578.jpg

This is a picture of the bulb, I got the tank used so I'm not real sure what I got. I know he had a saltwater tank with live rock with that tells you anything.

Does that tell you'll anything? How high of lighting is this light?

Is it a single bulb fixture? If so that'll put you in the low light range. Still though there are lots of great plants for low light:

Java fern: narrow leaf, needle leaf, trident, windelov, Phillipine
Anubias: barteri, barteri ' coffeefolia', nana, nana petite
Crypts: wendiiti, balansae, parva, lutea, willisii, spiralis, undulata, nurii

And countless others for each type. Java fern and anubias do best tied to driftwood and decor, crypts are heavy root feeders that require root tabs in the substrate. Hope this helps!

Thanks a ton! I was worried it would be brighter and burn up the Anubis I already had.

Nah the anubias should do fine and transition without any problems. Because anubias are very slow growing I always tend to put them away from the direct light and in lower, shaded spots. If they're exposed to too much light their big leaves are often spots where algae like BBA begins to grow. If you don't have one already I'd recommend picking up a cheap timer for your light, that way your tank will get a consistent photoperiod each day and you don't have to worry about it. Each tank is different but most people with planted tanks usually have plights on for 6-10 hours a day depending on light intensity.

Okay, I'll see about doing that. My poor plants right now aren't doing to great because the hood on my 10 gallon will not stay on, it's already going out and I've only had that hood for a short amount of time. The only light they get is from the light in my room, they will be much happier in the new tank.

Yup! In the future they may benefit from some simple added fertilizers but that is not essential yet. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom