PLANT SURVIVOR: plant vs. outdoors+goldfish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lollipops

Aquarium Advice Regular
The highlight of my aquarium-life is my Mr. Sunshine! My 6 in. common goldfish :) He's an outdoor fish (read: natural lighting)

He's about to move into a 55 gallon tank, and I'm hoping some floating plants will help block out light and deter algae growth... And, ya know, get Mr. Sunshine to eat his greens and promote good digestion! :)

Right now, I'm thinking water lettuce and frogbit (I don't really like the look of duckweed... I think!)

Think this will work?
Any other considerations I need in terms of keeping the plants alive?
What are their light requirements like? I don't get a TON of light... several hours, but lots of shade and dappled light.
Will these need fertilizer...?
Will fertilizer bug Mr. Sunshine?

Or maybe this is a bad idea altogether because it'll inhibit surface agitation and suffocate Mr. Sunshine?!??!!? :confused::confused::confused: noooooo...

I also have an AquaClear 110... wont it... I dunno, shove all the water plants down?

Admittedly, Mr. Sunshine had his scary first encounter with live plants several weeks ago :D at first, he was scared of them! Hah! He's now learned that if elodea are planted well, he can rip off leaves, and he loves pecking at java moss :)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

I'd give them a go as is and see what happens in tank. I used to buy some new plants at markets every few weeks as they got eaten / mauled no matter how well the setup :)

Back
Top Bottom