Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-28-2017, 06:50 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

PLANT SURVIVOR: plant vs. outdoors+goldfish?

The highlight of my aquarium-life is my Mr. Sunshine! My 6 in. common goldfish He's an outdoor fish (read: natural lighting)

He's about to move into a 55 gallon tank, and I'm hoping some floating plants will help block out light and deter algae growth... And, ya know, get Mr. Sunshine to eat his greens and promote good digestion!

Right now, I'm thinking water lettuce and frogbit (I don't really like the look of duckweed... I think!)

Think this will work?
Any other considerations I need in terms of keeping the plants alive?
What are their light requirements like? I don't get a TON of light... several hours, but lots of shade and dappled light.
Will these need fertilizer...?
Will fertilizer bug Mr. Sunshine?

Or maybe this is a bad idea altogether because it'll inhibit surface agitation and suffocate Mr. Sunshine?!??!!? noooooo...

I also have an AquaClear 110... wont it... I dunno, shove all the water plants down?

Admittedly, Mr. Sunshine had his scary first encounter with live plants several weeks ago at first, he was scared of them! Hah! He's now learned that if elodea are planted well, he can rip off leaves, and he loves pecking at java moss

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Old 06-28-2017, 08:32 AM   #2
AA Member
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

PLANT SURVIVOR: plant vs. outdoors+goldfish?

I'd give them a go as is and see what happens in tank. I used to buy some new plants at markets every few weeks as they got eaten / mauled no matter how well the setup

Tags
fish, gold, goldfish, plant

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com