plant tank ???'s

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
jetajockey said:
I don't know, I just think we have different opinions on it, which is fine.

I just know that the dirt route can be a big mess for a beginner, even if they've done their homework. It's not rocket science by any means but I do know some that regretted going that route for various reasons, algae, super dirt clouds anytime something on the bottom moves, digs, etc.

It's definitely an economical and extremely effective method, though.

So to a beginner I'd recommend something simple like ecocomplete, just dump it in, add the clarifier and you are good to go, no dust clouds, no mineralizing period, no potential algae period, no capping, it just seems like a simple and effective route to take when you are just getting into the scene.

I just don't want to be mentioned in the grumblings of a person scooping the muck out of their tank in exchange for something simpler, that's all. :)

Fair enough. :) I see where your coming from, definitely. I just like putting it out there that it's not as hard as everyone makes it out to be. I read for a month straight before I decided on dirt. Maybe that's the difference.

I stand by what I said about root tabs and sand :cool:. If a planted tank beginner wants to leap into a dirt tank, that's fine. Screwing up and ending up with a ton of algae is certainly one way to learn, but it's not the way a lot of people would like to approach a hobby, IMO/E. It just seems to me that dirt tanks are more of a nuanced substrate that a beginner probably wouldn't want to deal with when there are easier, equally viable options.

im willing to put in the time and the effort and as for the dirt clouds from fish digging i don't think it will be a problem as im only going to have 1 or 2 fish in the tank and that wont be for several months after the tank is up and running and all plants are thriving even then im going to look for fish that dont dig and wont harm my plants.

Back
Top Bottom