Planted 40 breeder log (56K no no)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
FTS not a good one?~!?!!?........can't wait to see what you consider "good".
VERY nice Kristin!!
BTW how did you attach the Fissidens? Thread? Has it taken hold yet?

Very nice Kristin. I really like the Rotala wallichii.

From experience, I am sure you will get tired of the star grass soon.

Also, be careful when injecting Excel directly into the HC. It has killed some of my plants when I have done that. I suggest that you try an area not so visable before proceeding.

Last edited:
Thanks!

Sharon, I love that shot too. :)

GlitcH, I attached the Fissidens with fishing line. It has attached in most places now.

rkilling, I am getting tired of the Stargrass now. :D It is a super fast growing plant that is kind of messy. I may have to replace it eventually with something else. I'll keep that in mind with the Excel. I've only done the treatment a couple times and it did help get rid of some Staghorn that was growing in the HC. I'll apply it a good ways above the HC in the future, just to be safe.

Updated pic 3/11:
2051338330100784379S600x600Q85.jpg

Not the best, but atleast the plants look pretty good! I see alot of things I could have improved before taking the pic though...hehe (like that tall wallichi stem....). The HM has yet to be trimmed, but I'm doing that on Sunday, so I can ship some out on Monday. Believe it or not, I've already trimmed some and moved it to my 55g......but there is still alot left to trim.

I removed the Stargrass. It finally drove me crazy enough that I got rid of it. I have Bacopa there right now, but I'm looking to find something permanent for that spot. I don't like the Bacopa in there. I think I may try Rotala macrandra 'green' since the leaf shape is different and its a green plant. I think something red may not look right, since the wallichi is pink on the right. I had considered something like Ludwigia senegalensis (sp?) though. I'll have to see what I can find.

No new fish just yet. I haven't had the money to order Apistos (shipping kills!) and I haven't made it to the lps to look for Rummies. I have convinced myself to have a 2nd school though, Ember tetras. I have 4 in my 29g that I was given by someone who needed to clear tank space and I do not see them around here, so I haven't added to the school (plus my 29g is a bit overstocked). My plan is to move those 4 to the 40g soon and get 6 more from Franksaquarium.com when it warms up a bit more.

Thanks for looking. I'll try to take some better pics soon. :)

I will take that stargrass! I LOVE stargrass :D I had it before and it grew nice and compact-loved it!
your tank is AMAZING BTW, I could just sit their for hours just staring at it

Thanks!

I already chunked the Stargrass.....sorry! The bottom parts were dead and it just wasn't doing well. I sold a little bit of it (the good part) to someone else, but the rest just wasn't healthy enough.

rkilling was definitely right about it. :)

I'll take an updated FTS tonight. I finally changed some water, so the water line isn't 1.5" down now. :D

I'll be adding 2 trios of Apistos soon! Hopefully by the end of this week.

Thanks!

I already chunked the Stargrass.....sorry! The bottom parts were dead and it just wasn't doing well. I sold a little bit of it (the good part) to someone else, but the rest just wasn't healthy enough.

rkilling was definitely right about it. :)

I'll take an updated FTS tonight. I finally changed some water, so the water line isn't 1.5" down now. :D

I'll be adding 2 trios of Apistos soon! Hopefully by the end of this week.
thats fine! I am sure someone else will get sick of it sooner or later :D
none the less-amazing tank!

New pics!
FTS: still haven't trimmed
2346124410100784379S600x600Q85.jpg

And, new fish!
Apistogramma viejita CFII
2980751400100784379S600x600Q85.jpg

Apistogramma trifasciata?
2894396950100784379S600x600Q85.jpg

Just got these boogers today, so they are a little stressed from being in the mail for 2 days. I'm not quite sure if the ID on the 2nd is correct. I ordered a trio of viejita and a trio of trifasciata, but 2 were DOA and there were 2 extras in the bags, so still figuring out just what I got. ;)

Any ideas on the 2nd? I'm pretty certain the first is a Viejita. 2nd looks different so I'm guessing its a Trifasciata, but not sure on the sex of either. The others were hiding.

More pics....there is life in the tank!
2525762420100784379S600x600Q85.jpg

Corydoras hastatus
2389181260100784379S600x600Q85.jpg

Rummies
2150388600100784379S600x600Q85.jpg

Rummynose tetras and Corydoras hastatus
Every time someone walks by this tank they ask "are there fish in there?". The darn things hide all the time. So, I had just put the Apistos in the tank and was trying to take some pics and the Cories and Rummies came out and were playing. :D This is a rare occasion.

Looks good kristin, do you have any plans on how your going to shape it?

Thanks ya'll!

Looks good kristin, do you have any plans on how your going to shape it?
I have some ideas. I want to trim the wallichi into a rounded bunch....if that makes sense. I haven't been able to achieve that in the past, so I'm trying again. I want to make the Bacopa shorter, since I'm leaving it in there and its in kind of the mid-ground. The colorata doesn't color up until it gets near the surface :( but I'm going to just trim it down like it was. The HM will be mowed as well....hopefully shorter than before. That stuff makes a mess when trimmed though. :D

I'm going to try to expose the driftwood a bit more than it is now. Alot of people tell me that they'd like to see more wood in the tank. :) It unfortunately gets covered when the plants grow in.

Back
Top Bottom