Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-24-2012, 02:37 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to UZOTANK
Planted 55 gallon Major Frustration

Alright Forum... Your help is needed.

I have been a planted aquarium hobbyist for 10 years. Up until 2 years ago I havebeen veryr successful growing Val's and ferns. I wanted to step it up two years ago and bought a T5 light with 1 48" 10 K lamp and one 48" 420/460k lamp. Since I have bought this light my Val's have died off and my java ferns are barely alive let alone growing.
I started doing flourish excel this past month and have not noticed any differance. I am ready to rip out and go fake! An suggestions?

55 Gallon
Nitrites 0
Ammonia 0
Nitrates 10
Ph 7.8
Tap water for PWC with water conditioner added

Old 03-24-2012, 03:02 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Many people experience melting Vals using Excel. I have heard some say Vals can acclimate to it after a meltdown though.

Sounds like you might have a little too much light for the Java ferns.

Mine have never done well in higher light, but they do okay if I hide them under larger, leafy plants or driftwood, etc.

Just my two cents

Old 03-24-2012, 03:12 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudraker
Many people experience melting Vals using Excel. I have heard some say Vals can acclimate to it after a meltdown though.

Mine have never done well in higher light, but they do okay if I hide them under larger, leafy plants or driftwood, etc.

Just my two cents
Really appreciate your input. I am starting to think it is the high light and am wondering if I should block some of it to see how it does. I would raise the light but my tank is already raised and it would be like looking into a light bulb everytime you went to look at the tank This morning I attached all of the java to a piece of driftwood to get them out of the gravel. And I'm thinking of taking a piece of wood and blocking off some of the light to see what happens over the next week.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3175307201.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	134.6 KB
ID:	84458
Old 03-24-2012, 03:14 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudraker

Just my two cents
As far as the melting Val's. I have heard that but tho Val's died off long ago before I even started using excel.
Old 03-24-2012, 10:17 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

It's been my experience that the actinic lighting your using isn't beneficial to anything other than algae. And maybe step down from 10000 k to a 6700k bulb.
Old 03-24-2012, 10:22 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

Also try using Ada products instead of seachem. They're a step above. ( aqua design amano)
Old 03-24-2012, 11:14 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmazz11 View Post
It's been my experience that the actinic lighting your using isn't beneficial to anything other than algae. And maybe step down from 10000 k to a 6700k bulb.

Thank you for your feedback. I was thinking I would step down the 10K but I was not sure to what. I just bought replacement bulbs too. For now until I can get to the LFS I am going to block out half the light and see how the plants do.
Old 03-24-2012, 11:31 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmazz11
Also try using Ada products instead of seachem. They're a step above. ( aqua design amano)
But also very pricey. Seachem works fine for most people IMHO.

Coursair is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5 gallon, 55 gallon, plant, planted

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com