Planted advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ColtsGuy77

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello, I've never had life plants and I'm trying to envision my new 55 with live plants. are they much work, what kind of substrate can I do them in and is sand a possibility. Any advice welcomed

I've had a freshwater tank since 1999 and recently switched to planted tanks, I now have a 56gal, 29gal and 5.5 gal. It's actually easier since the plants keep the amonia at 0, and much more appealing. I would recommend Eco compete since you don't have to rinse this substrate, this is what I have in my 56gal.

In my 29gal I uses Floramax and had to rinse repeatedly. It still clouds up if I move plants. In my 5.5 I have eco complete. I did invest in t5 lights but recently added a 150w shop light from Home Depot to my 56 gal and the plants have doubled in size.

Also I only run a dyi co2 occasionally on my 56gal. I do use Sechem Ferts and Iron, make a big differance as the leaves don't turn yellow.

Attachments

• 56 gal.jpg
    56 gal.jpg
    173.1 KB · Views: 65
  • 29 gal.jpg
    29 gal.jpg
    226.8 KB · Views: 72
  • 5.5 gal.jpg
    5.5 gal.jpg
    180.6 KB · Views: 76
There's a lot of threads about starting a planting tank on here. U can use inert gravel or sand. Some people prefer sand. I use regular landscaping gravel or lava rock. There are a few plants out there that are care free or easy. Do a search and then tell us what your thinking

I would recommend Eco compete since you don't have to rinse this substrate, this is what I have in my 56gal.

In my 29gal I uses Floramax and had to rinse repeatedly. It still clouds up if I move plants. In my 5.5 I have eco complete.
You must have floramax and flourite confused... since floramax and eco complete are the same substrate... floramax just doesn't have the bacteria in it.

Back
Top Bottom