Planted aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jill1981

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have decided to try my hands at changing my tropical aquarium to a planted aquarium, there is so much different information online about substrates and lighting, I don't really no were to start any tips would be great thanks

Planted Tanks

I have decided to try my hands at changing my tropical aquarium to a planted aquarium, there is so much different information online about substrates and lighting, I don't really no were to start any tips would be great thanks

Hello Jill...

If you keep to the basics and that would include keeping low light plants and standard lighting like T8 and T12 sized bulbs available at local hardware stores, you can have a nicely planted tank in nothing more than standard aquarium pea gravel.

Just let me know when you'd like to get started and we can discuss things.

B

I just made the switch from gravel low light plants to better substrate and medium to fast growers. I pretty much swapped the substrate to Floramax. I put some Flourish root tabs in the substrate. Changed my bulbs to a 6500k and a 10000k. I also added a DIY CO2 system. Lastly, i stepped it up in the fertilizer department... All i can do is sum it by saying WOW WHAT A DIFFERENCE! I'm getting amazing plant growth and my aquarium hasn't looked any more beautiful. Take the dive as i did and you'll be rewarded..

Oh and one other thing.. Give us some more details on your tank (i.e. Gallons and dimensions) so we can throw some recommendations to you. Also, what's your budget on upgrades?

Hi thanks I'm only doing a low planted tank because I only have a 110 litre tank, I was looking at the tetra complete as a substrate with gravel on top, and low maintenance plants and a change of lighting. Thanks

Yeah low-tech planted can be done nicely too. You can get low-light tolerant plants such as Java Fern, Java Moss, Crypts, Anubias, and Swords. If you get swords of any kind, you should probably still put some root tabs that have a good amount of iron in it. Never heard of Tetra Complete until now. I guess it's not available in the US and it's more of a UK thing. Do you guys have Eco Complete there? That's a pretty decent substrate too.

Thanks I will look into them plants, yes I have read about the Eco complete aswell, that was another substrate that I was thinking of getting, there is just so many lol

Back
Top Bottom