Planted aquarium help???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

YaBuddyHuddie

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm brand new to the planted aquarium world. I have a 29 gallon with fluorite substrate and a fluorescent tube for lighting (I have no idea how many watts). I have 6 neons, 1 platy and 1 guppy right now. I want to know how to cover the bottom with a grass, such as dwarf hairgrass maybe? I'm not sure of what other carpeting plants there are. I'd also like to cover the sides in a moss. Christmas moss, maybe? And of course as soon as I can I'll be getting driftwood, other plants, more fish, etc.
Basically I'm asking if someone can tell me how to do the carpeting and wall covering.
Also, I've read about CO2 but have no idea how to use it, where to get it, what form to get it in or what purpose it serves. Can someone explain?

As far as I am aware Dwarf Hairgrass requires quite a high amount of light, so it may be worth looking into light fixtures before deciding what plants to go for.

pjb_1986 said:
As far as I am aware Dwarf Hairgrass requires quite a high amount of light, so it may be worth looking into light fixtures before deciding what plants to go for.

Well my budget is low, so I'd like to stay with the light I have. It doesn't have to be hairgrass. Any carpeting plant really will be fine with me. Just looking for suggestions.

That vast majority of all carpeting plants require strong light and co2 to properly fill in. There are alternatives, such as riccia or mosses, but they are usually slow growing and messy compared to true foreground plants.

Agreed with everyone, on top of that you need CO2 for it to happen or else all your carpeting plants grow upwards instead of left to right (AKA no carpet).

I would try to do a christmas moss floor :)

Google image christmas moss wall, it's pretty cool and you will get that forest look.

Back
Top Bottom