Planted brakish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xxlbreed

Aquarium Advice Activist
I I'm looking to put some plant form into my fish tank. It's a 10g right now, sg at 1.008 to 1.010. I've been looking around, mangrove trees java fern maybe? I'm using sand though ... :/ ideas?? Please!! :D

I have a DIY co2 system that I could hook up if needed. The bulbs are 50/50 actinic and 10000 i believe, 2 six inch twistj in bulbs. the salt is marine grade.
Attached pic of bulb packaging and tank layout.
Thanks!!

Attachments

• image-1666021871.jpg
    image-1666021871.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 78
  • image-3213500627.jpg
    image-3213500627.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 87
I'm not certain but I don't think you would really need the co2. If you have enough watts per gallon they should grow. But I dont know anything about how the salinity would effect the plants

Certain plants do fine in a brackish tank. I have jungle val, dwarf sag, java moss and ferns, anubias and tiger lotus. Mangrove are more trouble than they are worth. I tried it and it was an epic fail.

You don't need CO2 at all. It will lower the pH and most BW fish prefer a higher pH. My lights are all 6500k bulbs and I have massive growth with them.

whats your specific gravity? Mine is fairly high. 1.010 about i lower and raise it now and then as per cycle.
I am not sure what plants would grow for sure in this high salinity..
I heard java ferns a possibility but many people limit it to 1.010 which is right where i am .. hence my worries...
can the plants you named grow in sand?

I keep my SG at the highest is between 1.010-1.015 and yes, they can grow in sand.

I started my plants when it was still cycling as FW, once it was done I started adding the salt. They had time to adjust while I brought up the SG. I do let my tank go through the tidal flows of being a bit more on the fresh side like would happen in the real world. The lowest I let my SG drop to is 1.007.

Yes I do. I use reef salt though, it's supposed to have a higher calcium value than regular marine salt. I don't know if that's true or not but the huge bucket I have was free so I'm not out anything if that is false. I have ghost shrimp and snails in my BW and they need the calcium.

Back
Top Bottom