Planted Discus Tank :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

roydooms

Aquarium Advice Addict
This is what I am going to have in my 125g. What do you think? I know it is going to be overstocked but I'm gonna be doing 2-40%PWC a week. I have a planted tank too which makes the 2 PWC a week overkill... Well, that's what I read.. Hehe. I even have to dose nitrogen to keep the nitrates above 10ppm. I know that once I get all the fishes it's going to be different. The tank pics are old. I recently added 5 more plants(2 ludwigia repens and 3 chain swords).

Edit: I have fluval fx5 and 2 marineland penguin 350s for filter.

Attachments

• image-3851511902.jpg
    image-3851511902.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 85
  • image-3258965901.jpg
    image-3258965901.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 82
Right now I have 20 cardinals, snails, 7 sterbai cories, dwarf gourami, ABP. I'm getting 6-10 rummynose tomorrow. 5 discus next week. I added ammonia absorber in my filter to prevent ammonia spike(?). In-case I get excited and added too much fish at the same time. :D

Remember what I said, Only add every other fish 2 weeks after adding new fish ;)

Ok, How about this:
20 Cardinal tetra
7-10 Sterbai cories
5 discus
3 nerites
6-8 rummynose
1 Albino bristlenose pleco
2 German blue rams
??

I think if it were me, I'd not add the rams in with the discus. Otherwise, I think you could cut down on the numbers a bit just to be safe w/o taking away from your actual stock list. For example, keep the 7 cories and 20 cardinals that you already have and then just add a few rummynose. What happened to your black skirts and angels..or is that a different tank?

tyspot1000 said:
Remember what I said, Only add every other fish 2 weeks after adding new fish ;)

Ok, How about this:
20 Cardinal tetra
7-10 Sterbai cories
5 discus
3 nerites
6-8 rummynose
1 Albino bristlenose pleco
2 German blue rams
??

Don't forget the gourami :)
Whenever I add fish, I always check ammonia level every day for a week. Just to play it safe.

Hmmm.. If I'll follow that list I'll scratch of the rams and add more cardinals. I have 20 now and seems like I need to add more. Like it's not complete. I want at least 7-8 discus. If ever 2 paired up and I'll have to move them to a different tank, I'd still have enough discus in my 125g. I know you know that with discus you can't go any lower than 5.

Coleallensmom said:
I think if it were me, I'd not add the rams in with the discus. Otherwise, I think you could cut down on the numbers a bit just to be safe w/o taking away from your actual stock list. For example, keep the 7 cories and 20 cardinals that you already have and then just add a few rummynose. What happened to your black skirts and angels..or is that a different tank?

I think I'll skip the rams so I can add more tetras. The black skirts are still in the 125. I'll move them to my 33g a day before I get the discus. The Angels are in my 40g breeder tank. :)

Rams are fine with discus. if anything id ditch the nerites as they can/will eat the slime coat on the discus. I would get 4 more BNP's, dont get the rummy noses till the cardinals die off, replace them with those.

For the tank size, type of fish and filtration system with your PWC schedule you will be fine.
I got over 50 tetras, 20 discus,24 or so cories, 10 bnp's 4 yo-yo's 4 sae's in the 210. I have the filtration and water change schedule that permits it.
The fish there have small bioloads minus the discus which arent heavy but arent light on the system either.

You are collecting too many tanks for me to keep track! lol ;-) Jealous of the discus tank, btw. I'd love to have a tank big enough for some one day!

Edit: I just noticed that I picked the wrong snails. What I have now are mystery snails

Snails attack discus? What? A fish would have to be flat on the bottom dead for a nerite to do anything and even then I'd find it doubtful.

Too much, too quickly IMO. Your stock list and the others presented can work long term, but rushing it will inevitably lead to issues.

WhiteDevil said:
Rams are fine with discus. if anything id ditch the nerites as they can/will eat the slime coat on the discus. I would get 4 more BNP's, dont get the rummy noses till the cardinals die off, replace them with those.

For the tank size, type of fish and filtration system with your PWC schedule you will be fine.
I got over 50 tetras, 20 discus,24 or so cories, 10 bnp's 4 yo-yo's 4 sae's in the 210. I have the filtration and water change schedule that permits it.
The fish there have small bioloads minus the discus which arent heavy but arent light on the system either.

I'd rather have both cardinals and rummy than the rams though. What if I replace the penguins with another fx5? Can I keep the ones in my list? I was going to get 2 fx5s but my concern is too water flow for the discus. Are you recommending for me to get more cories? How about 15 cories total and no rummynose?

I don't dispute that you can't put rams with discus. Just worried about the bioload in the tank. I agree that some of the smaller fish like the cardinals will have a small impact compared to the discus though.

HN1 said:
Snails attack discus? What? A fish would have to be flat on the bottom dead for a nerite to do anything and even then I'd find it doubtful.

Too much, too quickly IMO. Your stock list and the others presented can work long term, but rushing it will inevitably lead to issues.

Too much even with the ammonia absorber and plants? If that's the case, I won't get the rummynose tomorrow and just wait for the discus next week and then add more fish 2 weeks after.

Coleallensmom said:
You are collecting too many tanks for me to keep track! lol ;-) Jealous of the discus tank, btw. I'd love to have a tank big enough for some one day!

Hehe. I already have a plan to fill up my garage with tanks. Hehe. I really want discus. I added fluval peat n my filter to lower the ph and soften the water. I'm thinking of replacing it every month. Is that enough or do I need to replace it more often?

HN1 said:

I was going to ask the same thing.. I also doubt that.

Too much even with the ammonia absorber and plants? If that's the case, I won't get the rummynose tomorrow and just wait for the discus next week and then add more fish 2 weeks after.

Yes. "Ammonia absorber" will only temporarily help. Using it will not allow your bacterial filter to catch up and as soon as it's used up or you cease using it, ka blamo. It's better to build the colony gradually. Adding too much bioload at once will always cause problems.

HN1 said:
Yes. "Ammonia absorber" will only temporarily help. Using it will not allow your bacterial filter to catch up and as soon as it's used up or you cease using it, ka blamo. It's better to build the colony gradually. Adding too much bioload at once will always cause problems.

Alright. I'll do it slowly but surely from now on. I'll get rid of the "ammonia absorber" and just add more "pre-filter". What do you think of the stocking though?

Ok, I changed my stocking list. I hope this is acceptable(?).

Attachments

• image-284293829.png
    image-284293829.png
    24.8 KB · Views: 64
Back
Top Bottom