Planted Discus Tank Disaster...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mjgarrera

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey Guys!

So for years we have had a 72 gallon discus tank, last year we decided to invest in a full co2 system with a ph monitor controlling the co2 as well as a really high output LED light. At first everything was great but then we had an algae bloom. and it has been ongoing for 6 months at this point. The guy we bought the stuff from says that the co2 should be killing the algea, so this is what we have been doing...

We run RO water and use seachems equilibrium and alkaline buffers to stabilize KH and GH.

We fertilize with non phosphate fertilizer.

We have been doing water changes 2-4 time a week.

and we have knocked back the timer on our light to around 3 hours a day.

Tank parameters: Ph 6.0 nitrates / nitrites are around 0 phosphates are around 20ppm gh is around 4 and kh is around 30.

My opinion of the problem is that the co2 is bringing the ph down and then the plants are not using it so it never comes back up once it goes down.

Any advise would be great!

So just for curiosities sake your parameters are:
Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 0
Phosphate - 20ppm

If your nitrates are 0 then it's a problem. Plants need nitrogen in the water in order to grow.

What brand of fertilizers are you using?
How long do you run your lights daily?

So just for curiosities sake your parameters are:
Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 0
Phosphate - 20ppm

If your nitrates are 0 then it's a problem. Plants need nitrogen in the water in order to grow.

What brand of fertilizers are you using?
How long do you run your lights daily?

Yeah we have discus madness fertilizer and the lighter are 4 hours daily

Ive never heard of discus based plant ferts. Im curious abt this as well.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks coral, ill have to check that out. Has peaked my curiousity, lol.

I am not a planted expert but if the co2 and lighting are within reason then it is these ferts that may be the problem?
Or how much how often they are installed.
I think the 4 wc a week is a plant issue but you discus guys whip me on wcs!

It's definitely a ferts issue.

Fertilizers can only be dissolved to a certain concentration in a solution or else they precipitate out. Assuming these are concentrated to that point (I don't remember enough to know the exact concentrations they max out at) then the dosing of 5ml/100 gallons 3 times a week is starving your plants. Keeping in mind the many water changes you do are just removing everything you put in anyways.

I would suggest dosing PPS Pro fertilizers with the addition of the potassium nitrate. You should shoot to keep your nitrate levels no less than 5ppm (10 is the normal recommended amount).

Newbie Guide to PPS-Pro - PPS Analysis and Feedback - Aquatic Plant Central
PPS-Pro | Aquarium Fertilizer | Green Leaf Aquariums

Those ferts you're using would work in a low light tank, but not for a higher light and definitely not for pressurized co2.

Good for fish not for plants unless you don't mind pouring ferts down the drain.

My discus tank is stuffed full of plants. Large, healthy, and vibrant. Its a matter of not using luquid ferts. Dry time released mixed ferts keep it this way through the WC's.

Out of interest is ph at 6 after co2 injection? And kh is 30?

What's your start and end ph readings from running the co2 injection?

Back
Top Bottom