Planted discus tank move.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wobbles

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi

Im moving interstate soon. What is the best way to restart a heavily planted discus tank? I'm a little wary about stocking the tank with plants, starting the C02, and chucking 8 6inch discus straight in, but I don't see many other options.

So the options I have come up with are:

1. Start the tank with only the fish and substrate, and plant it later after the cycle has finished with low lighting. But that would be about 2 months as it 180 gallon.

2. Start the tank fully planted with no fish, Co2, and ferts, slowly adding fish. But then what do I do with the discus?

Cheers

If you can keep the filter media in water during the move you should be able to preserve the majority of the biofilter. Bag it up like you would a fish with some air at the top so there's gas exchange to keep it alive.

Another option would be buying some BioSpira to jump start the tank. As long as you get a good batch it would instantly cycle the tank, so that between the plants and the BioSpira your fish should be safe.

As a discus keeper I can appreciate your stress. My suggestion......

Research the area you're moving to as far as any reputable LFS. Contact them and explain your dilemma. Ask them to seed several sponge filters in advance of your move. I would offer to pay for this type of service up-front.

IMO, the plants and CO2 should be started right away. I'd hate to cycle a tank with my discus though.

If you are an experienced plant keeper (meaning you are sure you can make your plants happy from day 1). Then starting with a heavily planted tank, and a seeded/used/dirty filter will allow you to silent cycle. In otherwords, there will be no cycle.

Adding super fast growers...duckweed, frogbit, h. polysperma, wysteria, hornwort etc will guarantee so cycle effects.

Also, consider, breeders keep discus in bare 20g tanks with daily water changes. Such a setup will serve your discuss just fine until the main tank is ready.

A final option.... sell your current discus, and get new ones once the tank is ready.

Back
Top Bottom