Planted Discuss Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BASH2

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello everyone! I have had freshwater tanks for years. The last few years I have started keeping Discuss. I very much enjoy the challenge, however I have a problem I can't seem to overcome. I also enjoy live plants in my tank and that has never been a problem, until now. I absolutely cannot prevent algae from killing my plants. I have a Aquatic Life lite that uses T-5 fluorescent bulbs. I have tried every combination you can think of and still have algae. My old standard fluorescent lite never had any his problem, but my PH has always been close to 8, with Discuss I need to keep it much closer to 7-7.4. I'm ready to try anything that makes since. Thank you for your time and knowledge.:thanks::thanks:

Have u been using ferts at all? Co2 etc? What plants are u keeping?

30g planted, 90g Oscar tank

Ber2oo1
I have not been using any fert or CO2. I was afraid that would make the problem worse. I have 3 Discus and 2 Ram in a 55gal. I have had lots of different plants. I have cleaned the whole tank and basically restarted a couple of times. I have reduced the temp, which did slow the algae down, but it always takes over. If I turn my light on for more than an hour a day it takes over. I have used algaefix, it works but has killed my Tetrah. Thank you for your response!

Algae takes over because your plants don't get the benefits they need and the algae feeds of the decaying plants. To grow plants u need a balance of light ferts and co2.

how many t5's are u running?

Is your tank near a window by any chance?

I say add ferts. I had issues with algae until i started really dosing ferts and co2.

Planted Discus Tank

Thank you everyone who gave me very good advise. I only have 4 fish in my 55gal but I'm curious if my nitrates may be at or above 40ppm. I am reading about CO2 kits and root tabs. Any thoughts about CO2 kits would be great. I see some pretty cheap and others more expensive. Are the expensive ones worth the money?

Thank you everyone who gave me very good advise. I only have 4 fish in my 55gal but I'm curious if my nitrates may be at or above 40ppm. I am reading about CO2 kits and root tabs. Any thoughts about CO2 kits would be great. I see some pretty cheap and others more expensive. Are the expensive ones worth the money?

When it comes to co2 u get what u pay for. For a 55 u want a good size tank and a good reg as your bubble count will be pretty high. Cheap regs tend to leak and the solenoid tends to stick open or closed. Spend the money now and u will save in the long run ;)

When it comes to co2 u get what u pay for. For a 55 u want a good size tank and a good reg as your bubble count will be pretty high. Cheap regs tend to leak and the solenoid tends to stick open or closed. Spend the money now and u will save in the long run ;)

I concur!

But you may have a challenge if you start to add fert now, since your plant may be week and need some time to recover, and algae may take over due to extra fert in the water.

Back
Top Bottom