Planted HOB.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

9craigj

Aquarium Advice Activist
My attempt at a planted HOB filter.

Attachments

• 1420253461499.jpg
    1420253461499.jpg
    214.6 KB · Views: 70
I've heard of these but never actually been sure how to do these. Looks good though

What was your process with it by chance?

I've heard of these but never actually been sure how to do these. Looks good though

What was your process with it by chance?

I got the idea from reading around on forums. It's an aquaclear filter. On the outflow side I have biomedia on the bottom and a sponge in the middle. On the top I have a piece of hollow PVC pipe to hold the plants together. (even though you could put holes in the sponge and put them directly in there.) It also works nice bc when I wanna fertilize I can drop a root tab into the pipe and it'll settle on the bottom right where the roots are at. The plants are just the common house plants from Home Depot. Anything that roots in water should do okay. If not I'll just take it out. The outflow "mat" is poultry wire (bend it to desired shape) with java moss, dwarf babies tears and riccia tied to it. Eventually it should cover it so you can't see the wire. And it's nice bc it cuts down on the outflow so it doesn't whirl my shrimp around.

Since I can't use the lid on the filter I put a small piece of driftwood to cover some of the plastic. Eventually the plants should do that.

Back
Top Bottom