Planted Shrimp Tank Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bettababe1011

Aquarium Advice Addict
Okay, I have a one gallon that I want to use as a planted shrimp tank. I know that a one gallon doesn't give me much room for plants, but I'm sure some will fit just fine.

I want Red Cherry Shrimp, how many would be able to be in there?

Also, the one gallon has an undergravel filter. How exactly do these work? Like, how do you clean the icky stuff out? And would this be okay for shrimp?

I will post pictures when I can, but I may not even start this until a few months from now. I'm moving, so I have to wait until we move out and get settled to start this.

I think you could do 10 RCS without a problem.

The UGF is not ideal, but it can work.

What kind of light are you planning on using? There are a few plants that I would call ideal for scaping that size tank... but it depends on lighting, and how the light is setup (i.e. can you do some emergent growth along with some pico type plants)?

I am really interested in seeing how this turns out! A one gallon tank seems so small for shrimp but then again I have Amano Shrimp which are quite large in my 5 gallon. OP sorry for jacking this but Fort, how big are Red cheery shrimp and can you really fit 10 in a one gallon?

The one gallon is all I have, and I can't get anything else. My mother won't let me, and being 13, I have to listen.

The undergravel is really the only thing that'll work I think. How do you clean those out, or what do you do? I don't have much experience with them.

What plants do you think could work that are common? I figure I have to do live plants in a shrimp tank.

RCS are in inch or less, and much less girth than amanos.

You don't really clean out the UGFs... you just vacuum the gravel and what not as normal.

What kind of light are you going to use?

Probably most of the light will be natural. That's why it needs to be low light.

I know I'll combat algae that way, but that's really my only way. The light that came with was 7 watts, and I'm assuming that's too low, but I can't upgrade.

ok... I would try some java moss tied to some small driftwood or stones. Another interesting plant that might live even under that light is anubias nana petite.

Ok what I did with my 1 gal, is take UGF part out and instead plug the air line into one of these: AllPet.com - Pet Supplies. They sell them and the refil carts at petco, just cost a bit more than on that site, but still under $10 for just the filter since you already have the little air pump.

When the 7watt bulb on mine burned out the only replacements I could find at walmart were 4watt. I need to look at home depot or something. I just have windelov java fern in there. It grows beautifully :) I'm ordering some nano miramo balls to put in there too. They'll grow in just room light and shrimp love them. Or I think you can get one bigger ball and cut it up. Java moss should work in there too.

Back
Top Bottom