Planted Tank(2-5g)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hummingguppy

Aquarium Advice Regular
In the land of potatoes. otherwise known as Idaho.
I am wanting to do a small, planted tank for my betta. I haven't ever done a planted tank before. So I have a lot of questions...

1. Which substrate should I use? I really liked the Eco-earth, but it only comes in 20 pound bags and I wouldn't need that much. I have some sand substrate, would that be as good?
2. I was thinking of using anubias, java fern, and java moss. Any thoughts?
3. I read that if you fertilize under lowlight conditions, it will unbalance the plants. Is this true? Also, I know that the plants I mentioned above are pretty hardy. Do they need fertilization?
4. I am leaning toward the three gallon tetra cube aquarium, but I also like a fluval 2 gallon. What are your thoughts on these?
5. The two aquariums mentioned above are lit with LEDs. Are those suitable to grow plants under?

Small Tanks

Hello Humm...

Small tanks are tough to keep clean, the water chemistry can change pretty quickly. That's not good for the fish. But, if you change half the water a couple of times a week, things might work for you.

You can use standard pea-size polished gravel. It's inexpensive and looks good. Easy plants like Anubias and Java fern will work along with a floating plant like Hornwort.

BTW: Many years ago, I used to spend summers in a little town in Idaho called Kuna, do you know of it?

B

Sand is fine as NONE of the plants you listed gets "planted". Go as large as you can afford. 5g is easiest , but 2-3g can work. Just have to be more vigilant and dedicated about water changes. LEDs should work. Java Ferns will grow under almost any light conditions.

The JF and Anubias get tied to rocks or wood. The Moss can be tied down and trimmed for best look.

Small tanks change temp fast so make sure tank is warm enough in Winter. I distrust a lot of the cheap heaters for Pico tanks. I just kept my Bettas in warm rooms in Winter.

I do fertilize weekly after my water change. You can use API Leaf Zone and Seachem Flourish comprehensive for best results. Or try without if you like.

My 5-10g low light tanks do fine with ferts and water changes.

My 10g rimless with my old Betta (RIP)
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1402330922.332945.jpg

My 5g with my old HMPK ImageUploadedByTapatalk1402330994.505967.jpg

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Easy Plants

Yes, I know of Kuna. My betta likes to lounge on those plastic BettaLeafs, like a hammock. What are some live floating plants that are similar?

Hello again Humm...

Research Anubias nangi. It might be what you need.

B

Sand is fine as NONE of the plants you listed gets "planted". Go as large as you can afford. 5g is easiest , but 2-3g can work. Just have to be more vigilant and dedicated about water changes. LEDs should work. Java Ferns will grow under almost any light conditions.

The JF and Anubias get tied to rocks or wood. The Moss can be tied down and trimmed for best look.

Small tanks change temp fast so make sure tank is warm enough in Winter. I distrust a lot of the cheap heaters for Pico tanks. I just kept my Bettas in warm rooms in Winter.

I do fertilize weekly after my water change. You can use API Leaf Zone and Seachem Flourish comprehensive for best results. Or try without if you like.

My 5-10g low light tanks do fine with ferts and water changes.

My 10g rimless with my old Betta (RIP)
View attachment 239894

My 5g with my old HMPK View attachment 239895

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your betta's are gorgeous! Especially the creamy blue one!

Back
Top Bottom