OK so, there have been a few things on my mind about my first planted tank, a 20gal long. I'll try and organize my thoughts as best I can, so bare with me folks
20Gal Long, DIY CO2
~2wpg (?? I'll get to that)
Flora: Wisteria, Java Moss & Fern, lace fern too, hygro stargrass, pygmy chain, bacopa (carolina?), apomogeton gayi.
Fauna: 3 corys; one peppered, two julii, 1 bumblebee catfish, 1 betta, 1 dwarf BN pleco, 1 banjo cat, 2 ghost shrimp
- First of all, theres a strange film on the top layer of my water
. I've heard people suggest a paper towel on the top, which I have done before, but it reappears. I'd really like to get to the root of this one.
- I have a DIY Hagen kit, with the bubble ladder. Would it just be better to diffuse the CO2 through my HOB
, and ditch the bubble ladder all together?
- Theres been small outbreaks of algae
. I saw a large bunch of green, wispy hairy algae
. It wasn't frail looking, infact I had mistaken it for java moss until I looked closer and saw the strands were much much thinner. There is also strange clearish greenish slime looking stuff covering my Wisteria
. It appeared while I was on vacation. It has little... whitish yellowish spot things on top of the clear.. Gosh, it's hard to explain.
- I was sick of stock lighting, so I baught two 20W
plant lights (terrestrial plants). They are meant as undercabinet lights, so they are mounted on small fixtures. I managed to fit them both into the old plastic stock-light hood (after removing stock light & ballast), but after I placed it back on my tank, expecting a bright, 40Watts, they hardly seem any brighter then the stock lights
! It is resting probably half a cm higher, since part of the fixture sticks out, but I don't get it! Am I really losing that much light, or do my eyes deceive me?
- This one's about my 2.5. I have 10W over it, is that overkill? Has anyone heard of plants dying from too much light? Right now there is only java moss cultivating in it, could the java moss die from too much light?
Gosh I've been experimenting with so many different lightings... Supplementing stock lighting with full spectrum lamps, etc... Sort of discouraging, heh, maybe I should just save for a Coralife...
Anyways, any advice?? I'll probably add more questions as I think of them, TIA, I really appreciate it!