Planted tank beginner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Blacksteel

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey I'm converting a 20 gal long to a planted freshwater tank. Can anybody give me some ideas on some plants that are easier to keep alive? Also the equipment/fertilizer needed to take care of them if any? Thank you

Well I just set up a 55 gallon planted using advice from this forum. However, I also have a planted 15 gallon since forever. It contains... Java moss, java fern, anubias, and some wisteria. Be sure that you're using correct substrate, not just flat out gravel. I honestly don't know why gravel doesn't work, but most of my plants died with gravel. You should have a sufficient light fixture, 1 wpg being low, and 2 wpg will be about your max without injecting co2. Fertilizer depends on your plants. I honestly don't know much about plants though, cause all the plants I have are really hardy and easy to take care of.

For the plants listed above the substrate would not matter they are floating or the plant is attached to a rock or peice of wood. You could try crypts as well. Any substrate with a smaller grain size can be used to grow plants. There are many types of specialty substrates for planted tanks available, Ecocomplete, Flourite etc. If you are going to stay low light they are not worth the expense.

Back
Top Bottom