Planted tank micro sword DSM carpet

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bcuzimbatman

Aquarium Advice Regular
Here are the pics of my micro sword DSM tank that I just started. Will post pics as the tank progresses. I want to plant some taller more "bushy or bush like" background plants. I'd love suggestions on those too

Attachments

• image-2275346729.jpg
    image-2275346729.jpg
    158.5 KB · Views: 143
Actually what size tank and mostly what lighting do you have. Your lighting is going to determine what type of plants will work for your tank.

I'm using Eco complete as the substrate. I have a twin t5 on it as lighting

If your using a substrate without nutrients, where are the plants going to get nutrients from? The DSM is usually used with Aquasoil, MTS, or a similarly nutrient rich substrate.

I read online that Eco complete is ok for use with DSM. Was I mistaken?

You might be ok if you use fertilized water from another tank. You can basically just take some from a water change and be fine.

I've never had much luck with DSM and eco-complete/flourite.

I used regular dechlorinated tap water. Should I add the other tanks water? How should I do it?

I actually had DMS growing and spreading in my tank that had 1-1/2" organic soil topped with about an 1-1/2 of eco-complete. You can add fertilizer root tabs to the substrate if needed. Water sprite is a fast grower with poor roots so it draws it nutrients from the water column. So you would want fert's for the water. Seachem makes a good line of fertilizer products and with a tank that small you wouldn't break the bank using them. Or you can get dry fertilizers and go that route. For now the liquids are a good way to start until you get more familiar with your tank and plant needs. How many watts of light are you T5's? Oh, also using Flourish Excel will help plant growth, it's not CO2 but it gives the plants available carbon.

I think u misunderstood I mean DSM like the dry start method. I'm using it to make a carpet of microsword in my 10gal. The light is a dual 18w but I'll be receiving a quad 18w in a few days specifically for that tank

Ok so I tried doing a little reading into DSM with Eco complete. They recommend root tabs as well as water from an active tank. I will use both. If u guys can think of how I should add them and when I should add them please let me know. Also I was concerned that I my have too high a water level in the tank. And someone mentioned something about Eco completes bacteria water that it comes with causing root rot. Please fill me in on this

I have a 220g 6' long tank thats cap layer is 1-1/2 of eco-complete. The bacteria in it helps to cycle the tank quicker. The only thing that would cause root rot in any substrate would be someone planting the crowns of the plants in it. Plants that are planted too deeply with their growing crowns buried will likely have root rot. Bacteria has nothing to do with that. Oh, we have a 55g here with fancy orando's for the granddaughter and that tank only has eco-complete for plant substrate. Never had a stitch of trouble with plants in it either. Hope this helps.

Never used the DSM. For the 220, since I had my base substrate as organic soil, then capped with eco-complete, I had to drain and fill the monster (using a garden hose through the window) for a week to remove tannins and such that leached from the soil. I saved as much of the eco-complete water as I could in a container until after I planted, which was 8 days after inital substrate install and filling. Tons of plants were added and small water hyacinths as floaters to mop up excess nutrients. Sorry but I have no clue about DSM method. In the goldfish tank I did a swap out substate.

Oh because what I was most worried about was Eco complete working or not working with the DSM. And how to fertilize and ensure tht te DSM works

Update: I took out some of the water from the substrate today and replaced it with water from my other established planted fish tank. Then sealed it back up

Back
Top Bottom