planted tank outdoors?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The weather here is quiet warm, you're talking 93 today in the shade, I'm not sure the plants could take that temp? You know Missouri we'll have 112 degree weather at some point this year so if you do try it you may want to keep it on a roller base move it into the garage when it gets hot like that.

Sake said:
The weather here is quiet warm, you're talking 93 today in the shade, I'm not sure the plants could take that temp? You know Missouri we'll have 112 degree weather at some point this year so if you do try it you may want to keep it on a roller base move it into the garage when it gets hot like that.

Ah Missouri, yes you got to love the crazy weather. Will natural sunlight be better for the plants to grow? I've never attempted a planted tank before. What kind of plants would work best?

I'm not a plant guy but I would think too much sunlight would cause algae issues? Then again if your plants are growing super fast maybe they'll out compete the algae, I'll be interested myself to hear some answers on that.

Ah Missouri, yes you got to love the crazy weather.
Lol yeah crazy weather, I've seen 2 inches of snow in the morning, then drove home with the AC on, gotta love it.

I'd think that if your going to grow the plants right under the sun, you'd need pressurized co2 to keep the plants from being buried in algae. Without it, it'll become like a lake

George9 said:
I'd think that if your going to grow the plants right under the sun, you'd need pressurized co2 to keep the plants from being buried in algae. Without it, it'll become like a lake

Pressurized co2? I'm new at this George please explain

butterfly_koi said:
Pressurized co2? I'm new at this George please explain

Oh boy haha, I honestly would not be able to tell you exactly how to set it up or do it. But basically you have a tank of co2 and diffuse it into the tank to kill algae. Aqua_chem is a genius when it comes to this. You might wanna try pming him.

The CO2 is not specifically for killing Algea, it promotes growth. The plants consume CO2 and produce O2 just like in nature.

Certain types of algae do not grow with the proper levels of CO2 present.

So your wanting to do more of an outdoor water garden type setup? I just inherited a 160 gallon outdoor pond with goldfish and a couple of pond plants. From what I've researched so far you have to have the right types of plants for different areas and to consume specific types of nutrients. Also the one I have only has two plants in it and is filled with algae. Although I already emptied the half the water and scrubbed some of it away it is coming right back.. ugh.

ashleynicole said:
So your wanting to do more of an outdoor water garden type setup? I just inherited a 160 gallon outdoor pond with goldfish and a couple of pond plants. From what I've researched so far you have to have the right types of plants for different areas and to consume specific types of nutrients. Also the one I have only has two plants in it and is filled with algae. Although I already emptied the half the water and scrubbed some of it away it is coming right back.. ugh.

I want to attempt to use natural sunlight to grow plants for my tanks inside was just kinda wondering if this is possible to accomplish. I understand the algae concept but don't know how to begin. I've read allot on people using rainwater what are the benefits of that?

I would say just try it. I'm not sure of allllll the science behind it, but could be a fun learning experience as well. I'm starting off small with a 10 gallon.

My plans are to try and grow baby tears outside to sell to my LFS, since they never have it in stock.

I believe the benefits of rainwater are mostly due to the fact that your city hasnt treated it yet with chlorine and other products to make it safe for drinking. Also, rainwater is naturally saturated with nitrogen, which is great for the plants and is filtered out of tap water.

Many plants will "melt" with high temps, like 85-90, so I don't think it would work too well unless they are plants well suited for high temps

Donkey Gun said:
I would say just try it. I'm not sure of allllll the science behind it, but could be a fun learning experience as well. I'm starting off small with a 10 gallon.

My plans are to try and grow baby tears outside to sell to my LFS, since they never have it in stock.

I believe the benefits of rainwater are mostly due to the fact that your city hasnt treated it yet with chlorine and other products to make it safe for drinking. Also, rainwater is naturally saturated with nitrogen, which is great for the plants and is filtered out of tap water.

Rainwater is also filled (especially in cities) with pollutants and possibly chemicals.

The sun grows plants at depth in lakes and rivers. The goal of aquarium lights are to be a scale recreation of that light hitting the plants. Figure out a scale for outdoors which would keep your plants receiving ONLY that variable amount of sunlight and at the right duration, and your plants will grow and you'll possibly avoid a ton of algae.

Throw a 10g tank on the ledge of a deck, and you'll get icky water.

My take on it.

Freakgecko91 said:
Many plants will "melt" with high temps, like 85-90, so I don't think it would work too well unless they are plants well suited for high temps

Also another factor which needs to be considered. In my above response..

You know you could go and get a few native plants from missouri. They would be use to the hot summers here and may do better.

Just remember that glass will magnify sunlight, and it's much easier to heat a relatively narrow tank than it is a natural body of water ;) maybe do an ice cube drip above it to keep the water cooler?

Back
Top Bottom