Planted Tank problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dsal0922

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all, I am brand new to the site.
I have kept fish successfully for about 4 years now, mostly african cichlids and CA/SA cichlids. This year I decided to try a planted tank. About 5 months ago I set up a 20 long. I used Fluorite black for my substrate and a few Seachem root tabs. I have one piece of cured manzanita wood with lots of plants.
The plants I have include:
Jungle Val, S repens, DHG, Wysteria, anubias nana petite, an amazon sword, Anacharis, Crypts, and Blyxa Japonica.
Fauna: 4 guppies (2 babies), 2 Mollies, 4 Otos, 6 Cardinal Tetras, an one Apisto Macmasteri who I am in the process of finding a new home for as he is quite aggressive, more so than apistos I have kept in the past, and because my water is a bit hard.

Nitrites sit at 0 PPM, Ammonia sits at 0 PPM, and Nitrates between 40-60 PPM. My PH is around 7.5 and my water is slightly on the hard side.
I run two HOB filters, Aqueon quiet flow 20 and 10.
I dose Excel daily and Comprehensive once a week.

The reason for this post is because I am having issues with algae and with keeping some plants alive. I started to get some diatom algae about 2 months ago. since then it has only worsened. I have read that this can be caused by too little light, so i started running two lights. After about a week of this I started to get some green hair algae as well as some green spot algae.

After about 2 weeks of running both lights, I went back to just one. The green algae growth has slowed, but the diatom algae seems to have increased. When I look at my substrate against the glass, I can see both diatom and green algae and it is a bit of an eyesore.

I am almost certain my issues are stemming from my lighting as I have no idea what my output really is. Anyways I am looking for any feedback and advice you guys may have for me. I am open to constructive criticism!

These are the two lights I have:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01ID3OK3S/ref=twister_B076F7DZQQ?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071LJKNWS/ref=twister_B076F7DZQQ?_encoding=UTF8&th=1

I am currently only running the first one (30-36 inch), but at one point had the other one on too (20-24inch). (I believe these lights, though similar, have different color temperature, wattage, etc.). I run the 30-36 inch by itself right now for about 8 hours a day.

If someone can please give me information about my lighting and how to appropriately correct it, I would be very grateful! Thanks all in advance.

- Dan

Welcome to the community!

Although I am not familiar with this exact brand of light I have a few questions about your set up.

First all you can try any of these Seachem PhosGuard, PhosNet, and PhosBond
I have only used the PhosGuard and it is useful. You can read about the others if any might suit your needs more specifically, I haven't had the opportunity to read about the others yet.
Importantly, it removes silicate and phosphate which feed Diatoms.
Seachem - PhosGuard

Often you might have high levels of phosphates in your water supply, you might need to check with your local water supplier if you can't test it yourself or ask the lfs if they share your water source.

The other thing is I didn't notice a Kelvin /K rating for the lights, do you know what the light spectrum is/ or find out from paperwork?

What is your water change amount and schedule?

I’ve heard that interrupting the light cycle can help with algae build up. Like, turning the light off and on at different times than usual. I’m not sure if it’s true but worth a shot maybe?

Autumnsky -- Thank you for your reply. I will give the phosphate removers a try.

The 30-36 inch light is 10,000K and the 20-24 inch light is 7500K. currently just running the 10,000K.

My water change amount is 25% once weekly. Never any problems with my ammonia or nitrite.

I should add that i do not have a co2 system, but i do use excel daily as a supplement.

jobetta -- Thanks for your reply. My lights run on a timer so that shouldn't be an issue, but thanks for the idea.

Autumnsky -- Thank you for your reply. I will give the phosphate removers a try.

The 30-36 inch light is 10,000K and the 20-24 inch light is 7500K. currently just running the 10,000K.

My water change amount is 25% once weekly. Never any problems with my ammonia or nitrite.

I should add that i do not have a co2 system, but i do use excel daily as a supplement.

jobetta -- Thanks for your reply. My lights run on a timer so that shouldn't be an issue, but thanks for the idea.

Lack of water changes is your problem, I’d go to 50% weekly, diatoms are very common in new tanks and generally fade out over time as the tank balances.

Keep to the 1 light for now to help die it down and I’d also be removing as much by hand as possible. Cleaning your filter and pipes (not media) every month will help aswell.

Comprehensive is ment to be dosed 3 times a week isn’t it? (Not sure I don’t use it myself) if your nutrients bottom out then this can cause issues aswell. However if plant health is good I wouldn’t change your fert dosing.

Back
Top Bottom