Planted tank sand only

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Javaman

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Got a 20 gallon with sand and alot of driftwood ...i was told that babytears wont grow in sand and they need strong light but a month later the ones in my tank are shooting up out of the sand in a couple places ...will this last? No fertilizer or co2 but i was using special blend for a couple weeks so could that be feeding the plants? I also have 2anubias on driftwood and java moss all over ...i have two of those 10watt sun bulbs from petco and the tank is a lil overcrowded with tetras ...my question is will the baby tears keep growing or will they die of in the sand and also i boiled all my driftwood for like an hour and a half befor i put them in a couple weeks ago and have done a couple water changes but my water keeps turning yellow from it any tips on that?

The water is likely yellow from the tannins leaching out from the driftwood. How long has the wood been soaking? Was the water yellow looking after boiling?

Yea, the yellow water from driftwoods is just a thing you have to wait out. The boiling takes the edge off the initial blast of it, but you're still going to have to sit through the month or so of off-color water.

Just to be clear, are we talking baby tears "Hemianthus micranthemoides" or dwarf baby tears "Hemianthus callitrichoides"? The former will be more low light/low CO2 tolerant.

The bit about not being able to grow in sand is malarkey. Sure, you might have trouble keeping them down at first, but not being able to grow in it? Hogwash. Whether you plants live or die depends on how well they're being cared for in terms of light, ferts, and CO2. Supply those and get good results. Skimp on them and get less. 20w of CFL over a 29g might be pushing it light wise, but by all means you should try. You might benefit from upgrading your light to 15w CFLs as well.

Autumnsky said:
The water is likely yellow from the tannins leaching out from the driftwood. How long has the wood been soaking? Was the water yellow looking after boiling?

I boiled it like 3 times for 45 min each time. The first time the water in pot was dark then the next two times it got lighter and lighter until it was light yellow then for the next 2 nightss i let it soak in my bathtub with hot water i got tired of waiting so long so i put it in tank ...and yes the bathtub was yellow for those two nights...the driftwood is from petco i forgot the name of it it starts with a M

aqua_chem said:
Yea, the yellow water from driftwoods is just a thing you have to wait out. The boiling takes the edge off the initial blast of it, but you're still going to have to sit through the month or so of off-color water.

Just to be clear, are we talking baby tears "Hemianthus micranthemoides" or dwarf baby tears "Hemianthus callitrichoides"? The former will be more low light/low CO2 tolerant.

The bit about not being able to grow in sand is malarkey. Sure, you might have trouble keeping them down at first, but not being able to grow in it? Hogwash. Whether you plants live or die depends on how well they're being cared for in terms of light, ferts, and CO2. Supply those and get good results. Skimp on them and get less. 20w of CFL over a 29g might be pushing it light wise, but by all means you should try. You might benefit from upgrading your light to 15w CFLs as well.

Thank u

I bet the driftwood was mopani because i got some from petco to and i boiled it for a day, let it soak in the sink for 2 weeks, and its still turning my tank a light yellow after being in ther for a couple months

adammorrill said:
I bet the driftwood was mopani because i got some from petco to and i boiled it for a day, let it soak in the sink for 2 weeks, and its still turning my tank a light yellow after being in ther for a couple months

Yep thats the name and smh petco is gonna hate me wen i return wet driftwood

Last edited by a moderator:
You really gonna try and return it? If you are patient with it the tannins will eventually go away and i personally love the look of mopani

adammorrill said:
You really gonna try and return it? If you are patient with it the tannins will eventually go away and i personally love the look of mopani

I was totally being funny. No ill keep it in there for a couple weeks im gonna change the set up soon anyways and a full water change..starting from scratch

Javaman said:
I was totally being funny. No ill keep it in there for a couple weeks im gonna change the set up soon anyways and a full water change..starting from scratch

Be careful to not start your cycle over. Save the BB:)

Wat is the best way to go about a full water change and savin bb

Back
Top Bottom