Planted tank with ich.......help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kayakers2

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My wife and I converted our 30 gal. tank to a 75 gal. planted tank 2 months ago. I check chemistry every 2 or 3 days and had no spikes. We were conservative adding fish. Current population: 6 med. rainbows, 7 sm. tetras, 2 sm. flying foxes, 2 lrg. angels, 1 med. red tailed loach, 2 sm. headlights, and 1 beta. Also lot's of plants. 10 days ago ich spots showed up on 2 of the tetras. Removed carbon from XP3, raised temp to 84 and used half dose of Quick Cure for 5 days. Tetras cleared up but 2 rainbows had spots. Did a water change and continued treatment for another 5 days. It has now gotten worse. The 2 rainbows are heavily coated with some spots on eyes and around gills. The other fish show little or no signs. I read the article but am afraid to raise temp. and use salt because of the plants and the tetras. Also afraid of harming loach and tetras if I continue or increase treatment. We have a 10 gal. hospital tank and thought about putting the loach and tetras in it and treating the big tank normally but so far can't catch the loach.....he's fast and the plants are a hinderance. Any ideas? I hate to dismantle the tank but do not want to lose our fish. Thanks in advance.
Kevin

Hiya Kevin and welcome to Aquariumadvice.

Ugh, Ich, planted tanks and scaleless fish. What a pain! No point in dismantling the tank tho to catch the loach. If the entire tank isn't treated, or left fallow (with NO fish) for a coupla weeks, there will always be a host and ich will be able to survive to reinfect those fish removed.

You might try RidIch Plus. Its made to treat scaleless fish like loaches. The heat treatment shouldn't be too much of a problem either, even in a well planted tank. If you have crypts, they may get unhappy n melt, but they usually come back.

HTH!

Back
Top Bottom