Planted Tanks and Bioload

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

theotheragentm

Aquarium Advice Addict
How often do you guys with heavily planted tanks have to do water changes? I would assume gravel vacuuming is out of the question, but how much help do plants give with bioload? Are water changes no different?

It depends on the tank and the inhabitants and the amount of light. It also depends on the fert routine that you use. I use EI in both of my high light tanks. I do a 50%+ water change every week. I do not vacuum the substrate.

Like Rich I'm using EI and do 50%+ waterchanges each week. I however do gravel vac any areas that aren't planted and occastionally will vacuum under the driftwood.

Ditto. I think it's a foregone conclusion that a high-light (3+ wpg), heavily planted, CO2-driven tank requires a weekly 50-70% water change. I'm sure there are those who can get away with less, but this seems to be the norm among those of us here on AA.com. It works very well and, with appropriate carpet plants, doesn't even require vacuuming :) What could be better :D

Back
Top Bottom