Planted Transition

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquastrategist

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 50 gallon tank with 3 anubias and a mossy plant from my local lake. I want a completely planted tank, and I know my white sand and gravel won't do it. My question is, how do I transition from my substrate to a planted substrate? What should I do with the fish and how? Also what substrate do you reccomend?

I recommend Eco complete. However it will mix up as you plant into it so the color may clash and look calico. I would get all the fish out and do a full tear down, but some may disagree. I switched and kept my light gravel over black Eco complete and if I were to do it again I would have removed the old gravel and used ecocomplete alone or capped with black sand or gravel

So I should use eco complete and cap it with sand to prevet color leeching out? How thick should each layer be?

So I should use eco complete and cap it with sand to prevet color leeching out? How thick should each layer be?

No leeching. The Eco is available In black or red, either may clash color wise with your sand and the "cap" doesn't stay on top in my experience. The bottom layer gets mixed up into it when you mess with re-scaping or adding new plants

I'd probably use 2 bags of Eco, I used one in my 29 for a total of 40 lbs including my gravel and its super deep, but it slopes steeply for the effect I was looking for and keeps all my plants in place

Back
Top Bottom