Planting a 29 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

betta_cuties

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello all! I am looking at setting up by 29 gallon aquarium to be planted. I need help with lighting, and plants themselves. I have a natural gravel substrate and I am almost done with my fishless cycle. I don't want something too high mantinence. I like java moss, and I need something tall to cover the tubes on the back as well. Some floating plants for my gourmari would be great :)
Future fish list:
1 dwarf gourmai
6 neon tetras
3 platys
2 badis badis
4 fancy guppies
A rio-negro pleco
2-5 Cory cats
Mystery snails.
I also need help identifying what my lighting is now, and if it will work. Thanks!

Sent from my Venue 8 3830 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Anyone know what my light is?

Attachments

• 1407184921142.jpg
    1407184921142.jpg
    221.7 KB · Views: 49
  • 1407184995172.jpg
    1407184995172.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 54
  • 1407185053895.jpg
    1407185053895.jpg
    176 KB · Views: 46
I'm not to sure on your light. It looks like a stock light which don't do much but light up the tank. I have a diy lighting system, so I'm not much help on what lights you should purchase. You'll want full spectrum 6500k lights though and should aim for about 40-50watts all up.

Plant wise stick to crypts, dwarf sag, swords and Anubias. Hygros are ok too. Wisteria will be fine. To cover leads you could use brazillian penny wort.

Edit: for the gouramis you'll want something floating on the surface. Hornwort, wisteria, anarchis, frogbit, water lettuce, and brazillian penny wort make good floating plants.

Thanks. I figured it out! Its a t8 17w. Can I grow anything with that?

Well you sort of want 1-2 watts of light per gallon for low light, low maintenance plants imo. So I think it would be fine. Hopefully someone else can provide an insight and help out abit.

A t5 53w would allow you to grow quite a bit.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Oh yay! I have another bulb for it as well... That would make it 106w. Would that be too much? It was 20$ at home depot plus a diy lens...score!

Well the higher the light the more maintenance and so forth. You would probably have to provide co2 of some sort either pressurized or diy.

1 bulb it is lol. My LFS just got in some really nice java...couldn't resist :p. I'm gonna get horn and penny wort, and some wysteria and swords. Sound good?

Yeah it's does. You'll want root tabs for the swords though. They're the simplest and cheeper way then liquid ferts. Just put one underneath the sword every 3-4 months.

Back
Top Bottom