Planting Cryptocorynes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

An t-iasg

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have three Cryptocoryne wendtii "Bronze" and two C. becketti "petchii". The bronze crypts are small now, about 2-3 inches tall, and the petchii are just tubers now, although at one time they were about 5 inches tall. I have done some googling and I read that both crypts' size is listed as 10-15 cm. I know size and appearance can vary according to your light, nutrients, etc.

I would like to know how you guys would plant these two crypts. Would you put one in back and one in front? I have 5 large wendtii and lutea for the very back of the tank. These crypts were large at one time, but they are only about 5 inches tall now. The tank is a 5 gallon tank with 8 watts of NO fluorescent lighting. Which of the petchii or bronze wendtii would you put in the mid-ground and which one in the foreground?

I line my crypts along the sides of my tank...especially the bronze. I have too many plants running along the back and mid-levels to put them anywhere else.

I just made room recently to add some to the middle but I'm afraid to move them. :)

That's why I thought I would ask first and then plant, so I don't have to move them! The large ones are all along the back and sides now. The middle is still empty, and that's where the bronze and petchii will go - but this will be a fairly crowded crypt tank!

If you want to move some crypts to the middle of your tank, look along the other ones to see if you can find a new runner. I saw a very small crypt alongside my large lutea. I cut it off at the roots, and neither crypt melted. The little one was attached by a runner, and I let it go a few weeks until it was long enough to cut, and had a few roots of its own. It didn't take long from the time I noticed it to cut it - only about 2 weeks.

I like the sides too, especially in the spots that do not get much light. I think the color of wendtii bronze looks great and its nice to get it in spots where colorful stem plants do not thrive. In a 5gal I would put them at the same depth in the tank (near the middle) but at opposite sides, fwiw. I do not think either crypt would mind the shade under your betta beds, in case you are looking for plants for that spot. :)

I have mine planted under my swords. They like the shade and are growing well. Mine are just mixed in on the sides and back.

Apologies: did not see this is a crypt tank. Is this your next betta tank? That is really cool.

Yes, this is my new betta tank! I have torn down the 5 gallon hex and started this regular 5 gallon tank. Kelsie, the betta that was in the hex, is now in a 2-gallon QT and not doing well. :( If he recovers, he will have Kloey's old tank - the one with the sunset hygro. The new betta, also in a 2-gallon tank right now, will get this new crypt tank.

Back
Top Bottom