Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-17-2006, 02:25 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Planting E. Triandra?

So any good guides on how to plant this stuff? I've heard that you do it similar to how you plant glosso, but I'm not sure what that exactly means either, lol.

Any help is appreciated!

Old 09-17-2006, 02:29 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via ICQ to Lonewolfblue Send a message via Yahoo to Lonewolfblue
You can use tweezers and plant individual plants, or you can do it in pairs and bury one to hold the second one in place til the roots take hold. And the stuff does grow rather fast too.

Old 09-17-2006, 02:35 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Well I got a bunch of it all attached together (thanks zezmo!) so where do I cut it to make it an individual plant? I want it to be ground cover so how big should I make the individual plants when I cut them?
Old 09-17-2006, 02:42 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Each plant has it's own root, and is attached to another plant via a runner. Just cut the runners between each leaf. You should be able to kind of pull apart the bunch and see long strands of ET on the runner. Just snip it off at every 2nd plant, between 2 plants of course. Don't cut the plant itself, just the runner. Each small leaf is a single plant.
Old 09-17-2006, 03:01 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Hum...yea I'm not quite getting it. But I planted it as best I could. I'll let it grow and see what it looks like in a week or two.

Took me a few trys to figure out how to plant pearlweed the way I wanted it, probably will be the same with this=0)
Old 09-17-2006, 03:44 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Let's see if I can help clear the water or just make it muddier.

At each point where you see two leaves joining with the stem the plant will grow roots if it isn't already.

If they've already got some roots growing, you want to cut the stem between each set of leaves until you have a whole bunch of leaf pairs with just a short bit of stem and roots. Use a pair of tweesers (a small tweesers for pulling splinters works well) to plant the roots.

If there aren't any roots, it's sometimes easier to cut cut the stems such that you've got two sets of leaves and a slightly longer bit of stem. Then you plant the bottom pair of leaves in the substrate so that they'll hold the plant in place until roots start to form.

Hope this helps!
Purrbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 04:14 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

OK, i think I get it now. I didn't plant like that at all, lol. I just took strings of them (probably 4-6 pairs of leaves) and stuck them down into the gravel.

I'll probably take another shot at it at a later point. Gonna try and let the plants recover a bit before I go and start chopping them up again.
Old 09-17-2006, 04:54 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Even the strings will work as well. Give it a little time and see how fast it starts to spread. And if you get open areas, you can always snip 1 or 2 off and place where the open area is. It's an awsome plant, I really like how it covers the ground, very low to the ground too. Looks better than my clover which I can't keep algae off of. I have zero algae on my ET.
Old 09-18-2006, 03:32 AM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

Agree -- one of my favorite things about ET is I can just gather a clump of roots in my tweezers and plant. Also, if you cut the runners it will branch and pile on top of itself in a cool way. Travis did this with glosso but I think it works even better with ET since you can shape it and stuff if patient with trimming.

wet.biggiantnerds.com
czcz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
plant, planting

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com