Planting Hairgrass

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

extremenewb

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi, I just bought some "hairgrass" (thats what my LFS just called it) from my LFS. It came in a small clump that was growing from a sponge. I'm just wondering would it be ok for me to "plant" it by just putting the sponge into the substrate. I know I should really remove the sponge (well, I think I should be doin that :wink: ), but would it be bad for the plants to just keep it as is atm with the sponge on?

Btw, if you need to know the plant species I can have a look on plantgeek or something. Tho I would describe them as 5mm hairlike strands.

Added Qn if some1 could help me too :D Just planted them in an eBay bought 2nd hand Eclipse 6. I think the fluro tube is a bit old. Any1 that happens to live in Syd, Australia happen to know where to find a replacement tube for it? :)

Although I've heard of plants being sold attached to a sponge, I've no experience with this. It's probably better for the plant if you remove it. If the hairgrass is very dense, it can be seperated.

HTH

Hairgrass, and all potted plants, should be removed from the spongey material, and planted directly into the substrate. There's no nutrients in the sponge, and it's not really where you want it to permanently root down. Plus it won't spread well.

If this is only 5mm tall, it sounds more like dwarf hairgrass. It needs a LOT of light (2.5 watts per gallon, though 3wpg is best), and CO2 injection. Even then, its a bit of a slow grower.

cheers for your advice. I've taken it out of the sponge and planted it in the substrate. Oh sorry I meant its 5mm wide. It's about 70mm tall atm. That makes sense. I'm hoping it'll root down and spread out :)

I've thought about the lighting problem too :( It's currently planted in the brightest area of the bulb. Do you think it would help if I supplemented the light with a fluro desk lamp esp @ the hairgrass? Also, the tank's only the 6 gal eclipse one. Seachem Flourish Excel should be ok shouldnt it?

When he said slow...he meant sssslooooooooooowwwwwwwww..... One thing about planting any type of carpet. It is a pain to vacuum the gravel. I'm thinking about ripping out the hairgrass in my tank. Grrr.....

Back
Top Bottom