Planting my 20Gal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AbbieM

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I want to try a few simple plants in my 20 gallon tank. I have some Platys, mollies and 2 goldfish which are temporary and will be moving to my 90 gallon in a few days. (I had to move house and my 90 gallon has started a mini cycle despite keeping the same established media) I don't want to plant it until the goldfish are out because they've eaten the plants in the past. I have an aqua clear 500 filter and a 100watt heater in the tank. It is well lit with an aqua one light bar. My water parameters have been stable for about a year at ammonia - 0ppm nitrite - 0ppm nitrate - 20-40ppm (my nitrate seems to vary a lot)
I use stress coat+ and stress zyme when I do my 40% water change every 6 days. I also add about 1ml of ph down each water change and so the ph is stable at 7.4. (Without it my tap water is over 8)
I have sand substrate which I know plants don't like but I have some wood and some rocks that I want to put some plants on. Is c02 necessary or will some simple plants like java fern and java moss grow well without it. Does anyone have any other suggestions of plants that will grow in my tank without c02. If not, what is the easiest, cheapest and safest way to add c02?

Plenty of people use sand and have great success. Sand is my preference. A organic soil base is helpful.

Since you have the sand in an established tank I wouldnt mess with it. Any larger plants you add can be feed with root tabs. Make your own or buy.

Co2 is always helpful. There is a sticky on the basics if you need it.

The plants you mentioned can grow fine without it. Anubias species, crypts, hornwort, wisteria, are a few to get ya thinking.

Plenty of people use sand and have great success. Sand is my preference. A organic soil base is helpful.

Since you have the sand in an established tank I wouldnt mess with it. Any larger plants you add can be feed with root tabs. Make your own or buy.

Co2 is always helpful. There is a sticky on the basics if you need it.

The plants you mentioned can grow fine without it. Anubias species, crypts, hornwort, wisteria, are a few to get ya thinking.

Thankyou :)

Back
Top Bottom