planting stems and hair algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

malonbl

Aquarium Advice Activist
Quick questions. New to planted tanks. I just picked up some cardamine lyrata stems from a local hobbyist and planned to come home and plant them. I dumped them out and was preparing each for planting (tearing off bottom stems). As I got one ready, I tossed it into the tank to float while I did the next. I got to the last stem and noticed a slight amount of a green filamentous growth on the upper portion of the stem. I am not algae wise, but it could be hair algae.

Assuming this was algae, would it be okay to remove this portion and plant the rest, including the other "clean" stems?

If that is a bad idea and I should assume that all the stems are affected, I presume that I have already done damage by floating the others, right?

It works best outside. I just fill a little in a container a swish the plants around in it and then pull them it to dry on a paper towel as I get ready to plant them. After you plant them you may still need to spot treat them with a syringe.

Sent from my VS950 4G using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom