Planting through a rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

2happyfish

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I got my first plants today, and then discovered I was clueless as to how to anchor them. One Java Fern kept floating back up to the top of the tank, which looked ridiculous. I finally ended up using a rock that had a natural hole all the way through it and threading the roots through. It looks pretty cool, but will this be OK to leave this way?

I am still cycling this tank, and it has no fish in as of yet.

Would you like to use thread to tie the java fern on the rocks?

I carefully thread the roots through the hole in the rock. The hole went all the way through the rock and the white ball at the end of the Java Fern rests in the large end of the hole.

I have heard that people have tied plants to rocks and driftwood. What material would I use to do this if I went this route?

2happyfish said:
I carefully thread the roots through the hole in the rock. The hole went all the way through the rock and the white ball at the end of the Java Fern rests in the large end of the hole.

I have heard that people have tied plants to rocks and driftwood. What material would I use to do this if I went this route?

I recommend to use the cotton thread for the aim of layout. After tied for several week, the roots will tie the rock by itself. And what kind of rock are you using?

You can also use a gel based super glue to attach them to either rock or dw..can also do the same will various anubias plants...

I'm still cycling the tank. I only used one small piece. When you say hardness are you referring to pH?

Usually, the rocks increase the hardness of water, if you have the shrimp and plants in the tank, you should have the soft water. In addition, the rocks also increase the pH. You can buy some testers in order to check the GH and pH.

Usually, the rocks increase the hardness of water, if you have the shrimp and plants in the tank, you should have the soft water. In addition, the rocks also increase the pH. You can buy some testers in order to check the GH and pH.

I had no idea the rocks could do that! :facepalm: On some level I knew anything that goes in the tank could affect the environment. Well the plants are in there and I was planning on shrimp, so I guess they will go in next. I do have an API test master kit,and have been watching the pH go up.

What is GH? That test is not in my kit.

2happyfish said:
I had no idea the rocks could do that! :facepalm: On some level I knew anything that goes in the tank could affect the environment. Well the plants are in there and I was planning on shrimp, so I guess they will go in next. I do have an API test master kit,and have been watching the pH go up.

What is GH? That test is not in my kit.

GH-General Hardness

Back
Top Bottom